What's new

Question with Cisco switch and ASUS Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodean

Very Senior Member
In the process of learning Cisco CCNA/CCENT. I got one 2950 cisco switch hooked up via console/serial to my desktop PC.

I just configured and setup a VLAN Ip Address. What would be the best method to connect to my switch remotely? Would I connect my 1721 router that I have to it, then connect my 1721 to my Asus AC87U Wifi router I use at home? This CBTNugget has an example where the person has two network ports on his home pc, which I do not. So I would have to run it to my router.

Or would I skip the cisco router, and just plug into my AC87R, and find somewhere on the router to setup an static ip that I have assigned to my switch?

Also, if I turn the switch off, do I lose all config on the switch? Thanks

In the process of learning Cisco CCNA/CCENT. I got one 2950 cisco switch hooked up via console/serial to my desktop PC.

I just configured and setup a VLAN Ip Address. What would be the best method to connect to my switch remotely? Would I connect my 1721 router that I have to it, then connect my 1721 to my Asus AC87U Wifi router I use at home? This CBTNugget has an example where the person has two network ports on his home pc, which I do not. So I would have to run it to my router.

Or would I skip the cisco router, and just plug into my AC87R, and find somewhere on the router to setup an static ip that I have assigned to my switch?

Also, if I turn the switch off, do I lose all config on the switch? Thanks

Speaking solely to your last, IIRC with all Cisco switchs, you MUST commit your changes, otherwise, yes, they'll be lost on power cycling it. A lot of networking hardware will save a configuration once you make it (or "navigate" off the settings page you are on), but Cisco and a couple of others only commit it to RAM. To commit it to NVRAM, you must specifically go to the section to commit/save the change (probably under the Admin settings or something like that. I am not particularly familar with Cisco gear).

Typical Cisco connection methods:
SSH
TELNET

IOS command to save running-config to startup-config:
write

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!