What's new

Questions about VLAN support in 3006

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phantomski

Regular Contributor
First of all, thanks Merlin for your hard work and amazing news. Even if AX88U Pro doesn't make the cut (though I wish it does), it's still a great thing to have VLANs implemented. At least for me personally it at minimum delays the investment and effort in something like Unifi or pfSense for the main home network. Not that it's not a great fun to play with, but I'd rather leave that to my Homelab SDN and avoid disturbing the family life too much :)

Few questions if I may:

- Are those VLANs standard VLANs in terms of 802.1Q or is it some specific Asus implementation? So I can assume that say LAN4 port on the router tagged on VLAN100 would still be isolated and only part of VLAN100 all the way through all subsequent downstream switches, through their trunk ports and devices connected to their ports? So VLAN tagged packet from an ethernet device downstream on the network will only make it to router's LAN4 (and other switch ports I choose along the way) in this case if I configure it that way?
- Is the individual VLANs internet access still governed on L3 by standard routing and fw rules so I can choose to completely isolate one LAN port on the router and thus limit its access both to other ports (based on VLANs) but also the router's main bridge and WAN interface / Internet?
- Can you bridge two physical interfaces - WiFI Guest Network and Ethernet Port - both using the same VLAN tag and IP subnet, so devices on them behave like they're on one network? An example would be bunch of IoT devices connected to a downstream switch and few of others on Guest WiFi, all able to talk to each other and only each other like they're on one physical network? Or are they going to be separate and I can only link them through L3 routing and firewall rules?
- If they can be bridged that way, will such network be fully transparent in terms of broadcasting and multicasting? I'm asking specifically about the possibility to use IPv6 Multicasting and SLAAC across multiple WiFI/Ethernet devices on a separate VLAN for Home Automation standards like Matter which are notoriously unreliable with helpers like AVAHI. An example again - Router to switch to Ethernet port on Matter hub transparently communicating with a WiFi connected IoT device on guest network. Assuming they're both on the same VLAN and same IP subnet.
- IPv4 multicasting for mDNS between subnets using AVAHI works really well right now. Surprisingly well I might say. Will it work between VLANs as well? In terms of Apple ecosystem and home automation for me crucially is the thing I can't afford to break
- Can you tag an SSID and a LAN port for multiple VLANs?
- Can you do all this from GUI, or is the only choice to split bridges, create interfaces, bridge them all manually as before?

Thanks.

Even if AX88U Pro doesn't make the cut (though I wish it does), it's still a great thing to have VLANs implemented.
Where are you getting this from?

If you want it now you can use stock asus firmware. For Merlin's it will get there eventually.

Where are you getting this from?
And more from the new models link Tech9 posted above...
I currently have 24 different models accross three separate code branches to deal with. I have to prioritize.

3004 is more stable and reliable than 3006 at this time, so getting Wifi 6 Pro models to 3006 is very low on my priority list. The Wifi 7 models are more in need of updates because of the numerous bugs that currently exist. Updating 388 GPLs comes next, as these haven't received an update in many months.

These are routers, not toys. Stability is more important than new features that did not exist when these models launched. Especially when these new features are still seriously bugged.

Here:

And more from the new models link Tech9 posted above...

I've already read those post from merlin.

That's why I specifically said "eventually"