What's new

quick question.I can't seem to find an answer on the web.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LeeNYPost

Occasional Visitor
I would like to purchase 3 9bdi omnidirectional antennas to replace my dir-655 antennas but all the antennas i find online seem to only state they are compatible with 802.11 b/g and my router is n. Is there actually any difference in antenna between n and g? In short will these antennas somehow limit my throughput back down to the theoretical 54mbps of g or will I still be able to theoretically connect at 150mbps using n gear?

Manfs just haven't updated their marketing documents to reference N. The other problem is 802.11n gear can use either the 2.4 or 5 GHz band or both.

The key is to buy an antenna for the frequency range that you want, which is 2.4 GHz in your case.

Manfs just haven't updated their marketing documents to reference N. The other problem is 802.11n gear can use either the 2.4 or 5 GHz band or both.

The key is to buy an antenna for the frequency range that you want, which is 2.4 GHz in your case.

Thank you so much Tim. I am looking at getting 3 of these:

http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-63/Antenna-9dbi-OMNI-Wireless/Detail.bok

If you have a moment could you confirm for me that this will work correctly with the dir-655?

Also, I don't know if this is a commonly known site but for anyone looking to get higher gain antennas www.data-alliance.net seems to have a decent selection.

Last question if these antenna do work Tim, would be, do I need or should I adjust transmit power in order to make these babies crank or should I just achieve a higher signal from the antenna on the stock d-link settings?

Thanks again for your fast reply.

They should work since they have RP-SMA connectors. No need to futz with Xmit power. You're buying the antennas for their higher gain, so let them do their work.

You may need to put a brick on the router to keep it from tipping over.

They should work since they have RP-SMA connectors. No need to futz with Xmit power. You're buying the antennas for their higher gain, so let them do their work.

You may need to put a brick on the router to keep it from tipping over.

LOL, I am heading to home depot now for a brick, thanks so much Tim. I can't wait to try this out.

I know I said last question with the last question but I just thought about antenna placement. With the standard antenna people say you should have the left one face left, right one face right and middle one face either straight back or straight up. I am in a single floor dwelling and do not need the antennas to transmit more than 12 feet in a vertical direction but i do need them to spread out horizontally as much as possible. Given that these antenna will not give me as large a field of view as the stock antenna do and given that i dont have multiple floors to be concerned with do you think I should place these antenna in a specific fashion? Thanks in advance for any response and this time.... Last question, lol

I never play with antenna position. But knock yourself out experimenting. :)