What's new

Quick question regarding 160 Mhz and static channels

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iFrogMac

Hey all,
I was reading some older threads regarding 160 Mhz wide channels and saw a post from @OzarkEdge saying that he was using channel 36 for 160 Mhz.

I have 36 set for my 5ghz channel to keep it static, and have 160 disabled as I didn't have any compatible devices until I got my iPhone 15 Pro Max. So my Question is, can I simply toggle on 160 mhz on and leave all my other settings the same such as no DFS, and no auto channel?

I really don't need to do this, as things are working as needed. I wanted to test it, mainly to see if i could get a bit more speed to the compatible devices.

Thanks

Router is Asus RT-AX86U (latest firmware)

So my Question is, can I simply toggle on 160 mhz on and leave all my other settings the same such as no DFS, and no auto channel?
Sure why not? Test for your environment to see if the setting improves things or not for your use case and WiFi devices.

Personally, for my use I have 160Ghz enabled:

5ghz_wifi.jpg

As always, the settings that works for one person may not work or be the best for someone else. If I remember right the 160Ghz was enabled by default after a hard factory reset on the RT-AX86U Pro running Asus-Merlin firmware (and on the Asus 3006.x firmware when I tried it).

Sure why not? Test for your environment to see if the setting improves things or not for your use case and WiFi devices.

Personally, for my use I have 160Ghz enabled:

View attachment 61400

As always, the settings that works for one person may not work or be the best for someone else.
Thank you, will give it a shot. I'm exploring 160 Mhz because switching to the 2.5 G port on my modem and router caused jerky speeds for my wired devices, but improved WiFi a bit on the 6/6e devices. So put it back to 1G wired and now will try 160mhz for wireless.

I use just 80 MHz with Auto channel and no DFS. All our iPhone and AX clients are happy. Far fewer problems, better range and connection bandwidth on WiFi faster than 1 GB Ethernet.

It doesn't support 160MHz on 5GHz band either. Wi-Fi 6E on 6GHz band only.

Thank you, that was the part I wasn't fully sure of as I had done some searching, and it looked like Apple had changed that with the newer devices based on what I was able to find on my own. I went ahead and put it back to how I had it, since I don't have issues with it. This was just to see if i could get a bit more optimized speed for the faster devices.

Thanks

Yes it does, Apples pages aren't accurate.
When i had made the changes to the router and applied them. I checked my WiFi Explorer app on the computer, and while the computer only has AC for WiFi, the info for the SSID said it was still only maxing out at 80 Mhz. So not sure if those WiFi apps can tell you info about the max capabilities regardless of what hardware is being used. Anyway the changes I made were as follows:

Under Wireless 5Ghz enable 160 Mhz change auto channel back to 36, and disabled DFS channels. Then clicked apply. Since that didn't seem to work and after reading the comment about 160 Mhz not being supported over 5Ghz, I put my settings back to 160 Mhz disabled DFS, disabled and set to fixed channel 36.