What's new

[R6200v2] Updating Firmware Version 1.0.3.10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AntonK

Very Senior Member
Hi,

I just updated my firmware to the latest version, and note that the instructions from NETGEAR state:

"Please remember to do factory default after firmware upgrade. Enter "Backup Settings" in the web GUI and click "Erase" button of "Revert to factory default settings". "​

Just prior to updating, I had saved my router's settings via the interface's Administration -- Backup Settings -- Save a copy of current settings tool. After the upgrade, I reset to factory default as directed above, and then restored the settings I had saved, so as not to have to rebuild my router's settings from scratch. Is that an okay way to perform an upgrade from one NETGEAR firmware version to the next? All seems to be working normally.

Thanks for any advice.
Anton

Thanks for the rousing response to what I imagine is a quickie for experienced NETGEAR router users. Geez.....

Thanks for the rousing response to what I imagine is a quickie for experienced NETGEAR router users. Geez.....

You do realize that this is vacation time or extra work time (because others are on vacation) for most?

What you did by loading the saved config file is voided any benefits you may have received with a reset to factory defaults.

The proper way would have been to do a minimal and manual configuration after resetting the new firmware and then saving that to a new backup config setting file (for a 'just in case' emergency).

By flashing the saved backup config file you effectively did not do a reset to factory defaults at all.

You do realize that this is vacation time or extra work time (because others are on vacation) for most?

What you did by loading the saved config file is voided any benefits you may have received with a reset to factory defaults.

The proper way would have been to do a minimal and manual configuration after resetting the new firmware and then saving that to a new backup config setting file (for a 'just in case' emergency).

By flashing the saved backup config file you effectively did not do a reset to factory defaults at all.

Thanks, appreciated.

We need to ensure a factory reset is not required following a firmware update, otherwise manually applying settings can be very inconveniencing...

We need to ensure a factory reset is not required following a firmware update, otherwise manually applying settings can be very inconveniencing...

Agreed, especially when you're updating with the manufacturer's firmware. I can understand needing a factory reset if you're updating to a Mod, Fork, or even multiple generations of manufacturer firmware.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!