What's new

R700 vs R8300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

usamario

Regular Contributor
R700 vs R8300

Hi:
I need some advice or info regading Netgear Routers;
I have own the R700 for at least 2 1/2 years and I thought it was time to upgrade.
I have running the vortex-merlin with my R700, the router is the best but with merlins firmware; exceptional.

Purchased the Asus RT-AC88U to continue using Merlin's firmware, however the Asus router would not boot unless I disconnected all the Ethernet ports and knowing how difficult is to deal with Asus support and considering that I was within the return time, I returned the RT-AC88U and exchanged it for WRT3200 and a Linksys 8 port switch.

The WRT3200 was much slower and did not reached as far as R700, I thought it could be the firmware, I decided to switch to DD-WRT, just to find out it was slower than the Linksys Stock firmware, I decided to try OpenWRT just to get lost in the 100 of settings one can tweak, I got out as fast I could and returned the Linksys router.

So I am back to the great R700 running vortex-merlin firmware, this router gets me 110 to 120 trough out my house.
I read somewhere that purchasing something greater than a 1900 browser won't matter much because as of now there are no clients that can handle that speed.

So my question:
What would I gain purchasing a Netgear R8300?
I do some streaming and video and music, file transfers with a QNAP and Netgear ReadyNas. I do to much surfing.
Would I obtain better speeds?
Better throughout range?
Any gains with the 2 port aggregation?

Any advise on this subject would be helpful and appreciated.
Thank you
Mario

So my question:
What would I gain purchasing a Netgear R8300?

in my testing with the r8500 compared to the r7000 there was better coverage with the r8500 but not a massive amount

Would I obtain better speeds?

depends on your client adapters , if they can do above 1300M then yes you will see faster throughput as the speed is set by the clients capability to sync

Any gains with the 2 port aggregation?

sure if you have a nas with the same 2 ports and capable of link aggregation you would then be able to have 2 comps pulling 110MB/s each from the nas instead of 110MB/s shared , otherwise its of no benefit

i suggest you have a look through tim's router ranker and the coverage each provides , if the r7000 provides the coverage you need and want just stay with it

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online