What's new

R7000 24345M_OLDD vs. stock speedtest results

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

byonik

Occasional Visitor
I recently decided to try the current stock Netgear firmware after being on Kong's 24345M_OLDD for the last several months. Attached are my informal Speedtest results for anyone interested. For reference, I have FiOS 75/75 service, and my hardwired PC consistently achieves 10ms/ping 84Mbps/down and 87Mbps/up on Speedtest.

The attached results reflect the best of three tests, per device, per location. Subjectively speaking, my impression was that the stock firmware tended to be more consistent across the tests, and showed more stable throughput values during the tests. Time will tell if the stock FW is as stable as 24345M_OLDD.

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 383
I recently decided to try the current stock Netgear firmware after being on Kong's 24345M_OLDD for the last several months. Attached are my informal Speedtest results for anyone interested. For reference, I have FiOS 75/75 service, and my hardwired PC consistently achieves 10ms/ping 84Mbps/down and 87Mbps/up on Speedtest.

The attached results reflect the best of three tests, per device, per location. Subjectively speaking, my impression was that the stock firmware tended to be more consistent across the tests, and showed more stable throughput values during the tests. Time will tell if the stock FW is as stable as 24345M_OLDD.

I've learned from experience that DD-WRT wireless speeds improve significantly if you select a fixed channel. If you go with a double wide frequency, they go up even further. Prior to finding this out, I was disappointed with my wireless speeds. None on any router seemed very impressive, DD-WRT included. DD-WRT wireless speeds have other quirks, so fiddling around with the wireless settings is important. Leaving DD-WRT wireless at auto will give you the slowest speeds available to you.

After fiddling around with 2.4GHz, a lot of my speeds were higher than yours with a R6300V1 and 25015-SP1. Prior to that, they were just middling, like yours. Selecting a fixed 2.4GHz channel, the right country code, and a 2x wide frequency your speeds will as much as double with a good tail wind and no interference. Please note that 2x wide frequencies are sometimes considered the Bad Neighbor Policy. Adjust xmit power down a little.

Last edited:
I've learned from experience that DD-WRT wireless speeds improve significantly if you select a fixed channel. If you go with a double wide frequency, they go up even further. Prior to finding this out, I was disappointed with my wireless speeds. None on any router seemed very impressive, DD-WRT included. DD-WRT wireless speeds have other quirks, so fiddling around with the wireless settings is important. Leaving DD-WRT wireless at auto will give you the slowest speeds available to you.

After fiddling around with 2.4GHz, a lot of my speeds were higher than yours with a R6300V1 and 25015-SP1. Prior to that, they were just middling, like yours. Selecting a fixed 2.4GHz channel, the right country code, and a 2x wide frequency your speeds will as much as double with a good tail wind and no interference. Please note that 2x wide frequencies are sometimes considered the Bad Neighbor Policy. Adjust xmit power down a little.

I totally agree with you on the fixed channel. I usually try to grab channel 1 if I can successfully push my neighbors' WAPs onto adjacent channels. I live along a golf course, and while my side of the fairway is comprised of single family homes on 1/4 acre lots, the other side of the fairway is town homes. As a result, I can typically see 30+ SSIDs from my deck, and 10+ indoors. Channel contention is by far my biggest challenge - especially outdoors.

Regarding channel bonding, I have had much better luck with a single channel - at least on 2G channels. For one, almost all of my WiFi devices support a single spatial stream anyway, so there is no speed benefit from channel bonding. The other main reason I don't channel bond is that it simply kills my 2G WiFi performance when I'm outside - particularly on the deck. It's hard enough competing for one channel - much less two!

Actually, that's the main reason I upgraded to the Nighthawk last year. We spend a good deal of time outdoors, and I figured if I could just get a strong enough 5G signal on the deck, I wouldn't have to deal with all the contention anymore. Fortunately, since we have FiOS here, almost everyone around us has the standard Actiontec router, which is 2G only. So for now, I pretty much have the full 5G spectrum all to myself. Mwahahahaahhaha! :D Unfortunately, we still have a number of WiFi devices that only support 2G, so for now, we still have to deal with the crowded 2G spectrum.

Of course, your mileage may vary, but for me, this is as good as it gets around here!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!