What's new

R7000 802.11ac and 802.11n at the same time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alpbetgam

New Around Here
Hi
I am currently considering buying a Netgear R7000. I have a few AC devices, and everything else is N. Is it possible to achieve AC speed on AC devices but still achieve N speed on N devices?

Thanks

Remember that AC routers are N on 2.4 GHz. So there is no difference between dual-band N and AC devices on that band.

For devices on the 5 GHz band, N and AC devices will link at their proper respective rates. But when both are active, N devices will take more airtime, slowing AC devices.

What Tim said.

Both N and AC devices will connect at their associated link speed but if both N and AC devices are in use at the same time, the N devices will impact the speed of the AC devices somewhat.

Hi
I am currently considering buying a Netgear R7000. I have a few AC devices, and everything else is N. Is it possible to achieve AC speed on AC devices but still achieve N speed on N devices?

Thanks

Hi,
I had R7000, it will work but really you should put only -AC device on 5GHz to
realize it's full capacity. -N device will impact -AC mode device.

I've found 802.11ac behaves remarkably well with 802.11n devices attached - not much of a performance impact at all...

Even with old-school 802.11a...

Much better experience that with early 802.11n in 2.4GHz and 5Ghz

Hi

Thanks

You might want to take a look at the Netgear R8000. With the dual 5ghz radios you could allocate one to your AC devices and one to your N devices. That way you can be certain you are not getting negative interactions.

Bob Silver
NETGEAR Networking Assistant

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!