What's new

R7000 as my router (not wifi)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

venture996

Occasional Visitor
I am replacing my trusty old Asus RTN-66U with a Netgear R7000 that I just took out of service as an access point (I got poor wifi performance and gave up on it).

Primary role will be as firewall, plus 1 OPENVPN user (into my home network). I see so many threads about using alternative firmware, but I've been planning on just using Netgear's firmware. Is that a mistake?

No problem with trying Netgear's latest firmware and see how it works for you. There are several third-party firmware varieties available if you need to go there. Just give the stock firmware a try and see if it supports all the settings that you need, and if it works for you. If so, fine, you don't need to go any further.

If the stock firmware doesn't meet your needs, then we'll talk *smile*.

I guess that gets to the Crux of my question. I just need a firewall, plus openvpn access to my better, plus Network filtering to make sure my IP cameras aren't reaching out to the internet. Guess I just do as you suggest and see if the Netgear firmware can handle that, but it's so basic I would think it must. Thanks

No problem with trying Netgear's latest firmware and see how it works for you. There are several third-party firmware varieties available if you need to go there. Just give the stock firmware a try and see if it supports all the settings that you need, and if it works for you. If so, fine, you don't need to go any further.

If the stock firmware doesn't meet your needs, then we'll talk *smile*.

Look at either Tomato or DD-WRT as more feature-enhanced alternatives to the stock firmware. DD-WRT has pretty good support for the R7000, as it was the primary model for one of its developers. Tomato has pretty good OpenVPN support.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!