What's new

R7000 Config questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Musky-Hunter

New Around Here
I was about to purchase a R7000 to replace my aging Dir-655 until I read a review about QoS that has me concerned it may not be right for me. Can anyone comment on if what was said is still accurate based on current firmware and if it will be an impact on my setup?

The reviewer said the QoS is preconfigured to prioritize devices and it may make devices low priority that I will want high priority but there is no manual override. Furthermore, apparently it does not have ability to recognize and prioritize VoIP.

My setup is
Mediacom cable internet 50mbs
Direct wired Xbox One, Directv, AppleTv, WinPC, Ooma VoIP
Wireless Epson printer, Xbox360, 3 phones, 2 PC's, 2 iPads, up to 5+ guests

Based on above, should I concern myself with prioritization? Is the Asus AC68U better suited for me? I am not very network savvy so if the GUI is not very intuitive I will likely fail to take advantage of highly complex config options.

Ps I will be adding Ooma this week and will need more than the 4 ports on my router. Can anyone recommend how to support the additional connections? Switch? Should I follow Ooma recommended setup and put the device between the modem and the router or hang it off the router or switch?

Thank you in advance.

As far as I know, the statement that you can't change or override the default QoS is false.

However, problems with VoIP and QoS have been WIDELY reported.

As far as I know, the statement that you can't change or override the default QoS is false.

However, problems with VoIP and QoS have been WIDELY reported.

+1, can download user manual as well as peruse R7000 FAQ from Netgear. I moved to R7500 from R7000 running dd-wrt. R7500 has better QoS, IMO.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!