What's new

R7000 Dual Stack setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DLWilson

New Around Here
Hello all,

I have a device or two that is unfriendly with ipv6, primarily my nest thermostat v1. I tried looking and searching google but I could not find a way to setup a dual stack on the r7000. Nor did I find info regarding open firm wares support for this router that would allow dual stack ip. Perhaps I misread or didn't understand? Any advice would greatly be appreciated!

Do you have an ISP that supports dual-stack? For example, Comcast supports both IPv4 and IPv6 concurrently. So I'm normally using IPv4, and then when I turn on IPv6 (DHCPv6-PD), I'm using dual-stack by default. So if your ISP provides IPv4, when you turn on IPv6 you'll be running dual-stack. Unless you explicitly set up your router for IPv6 only (which I've never done or needed to do, and don't know how to do as a result *smile*), which you might do if your ISP only supplies IPv6, you'll be using dual-stack. For the ~4 years I've had IPv6 enabled, I've been using dual-stack...most connections are made via IPv4. If a web site or device does IPv6, or IPv6 and IPv4, IPv6 should be used as a preference, but IPv4 is still available for web sites or devices that don't use IPv6.

One thing you can do if you use Chrome, is to use the IPvFoo extension, and that will tell you if you're connecting to web sites via IPv4 and/or IPv6. For devices, it depends on the firmware you're using where you would look to see if your device has an IPv6 or IPv4 address. With some firmware that information isn't available. It is available with tomato and XVortex. Not sure about stock firmware (haven't used it in a long time), but I've never seen it in the web interface for dd-wrt.

I do have Comcast! Currently I set the router IPv6 auto configure and everything seems good so far. I wasn't sure if it was working because I am still getting IPv4 addresses on all my devices along with IPv6 addresses. Thanks for the info! I'll check out that extension when I get home.

Be advised Netgears implementation of IPv6 does not work properly and never has despite repeated tickets and attempts to get them to fix have all so far been ignored. Netgear has there IPv6 firewall configured to block all ICMP/v6 packets this causes v6 not to function as intended. If you need fully functional IPv6 try a third party firmware such as Xvortexes fork of Merlins builds.

Thanks for info! I installed vortex latest build last night. Setup ipv6, So far no issues. Wifi reliability has been better too. Currently have an rtn66u set as a switch with merlin build on it. Now my ps4, xone and Mac Pro all connecting without issues with open nat. Woot!

Be advised Netgears implementation of IPv6 does not work properly and never has despite repeated tickets and attempts to get them to fix have all so far been ignored. Netgear has there IPv6 firewall configured to block all ICMP/v6 packets this causes v6 not to function as intended. If you need fully functional IPv6 try a third party firmware such as Xvortexes fork of Merlins builds.

Please explain why you believe that Netgear's implementation of IPv6 is broken... ICMP blocking, while, erm, interesting, does not obviate IPv6. and some would suggest this is pretty much ok, as devices will still configure themselves...

As a recovering 3GPP/3GPP2/IEEE/IETF standards engineer, I'd like to know your thoughts...

I have worked with Netgear over this issue since last spring they admit the issue and have even given me private firmware that fixes it but as of now they still won't fix in there public releases for reasons they will not disclose.

And yes it does cause problems with sites that are v6 only such as slow page loads or not at all also blocking ICMP packets causes images to not load in many cases. I am no expert on v6 just know a little about how it works and blocking ICMP/v6 packets makes for a poor IPv6 implementation and browsing experience. People say well I get a 10/10 pass doing a IPv6 test well that test only verifies a v6 address and MTU and nothing more.

All I'm saying is there IPv6 does not work as intended and people investing in a router that says it's ready for IPv6 should be made aware of the facts. Asus also went through this issue and once made aware quickly fixed it.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!