What's new

R7000 Nighthawk on DD vs WRT1900AC vs RT-67U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fez27

New Around Here
Is it possible to a review on the above routers flashed with DD - R7000 with Kong build from desipro would be awesome. I am sure the R7000 would win quite easily with all the work Kong done on that router since he uses it at home. but would be seriously interesting to have a standard SNB review/test maybe with other additions if possible but with DD firmware.

Last edited:
RT-67U?

Mean Asus RT-n67U or just the asus 1900ac equivalent.

Do you mean RT-AC68U? I'm not aware of a 67U model

Also, I doubt Tim will review 3rd party FW. If he does it, he'll have to do it each time a new router comes out and DD support it. That's a lot of work and the majority of people just stick to the stock FW anyways. On here, we're a "small" group that chooses otherwise

The only third party FW review I remember seeing on SNB was actually for my firmware. A *LOT* has changed since then however, so that review might no longer be of use to anyone.

Reviewing DD-WRT would be difficult, because there hasn't been an official release of DD-WRT in many years. That means there's no fixed target for a reviewer to latch on, there's no official documentation either as to its features, how they work, what works and what is currently broken, etc... And as there's no fixed releases, something broken today might be fixed in tomorrow's nightly build.

Tomato would require a reviewer to decide which specific flavour to review, as there are at least three that are semi-regularly updated these days (Shibby, Toastman, and AdvancedTomato's fork of Shibby).

OpenWRT would probably be the easiest to review, as it follows a solid release timetable. It's however not often available on the same models that support Tomato/DD-WRT, as they mostly avoid platforms that aren't 100% open sourced (Broadcom being the most notorious example of a popular but not open-sourced platform).

Kong's firmware for the Linksys WRT1900AC/ACS is rock solid for me.

101 days and counting.