What's new

R7000 or RT-AC68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dikkiedirk

Regular Contributor
Which is currently the most stable and performant one?

I read stories of both, rebooting, losing connection etc. Are these solved in latest firmwares? What about dd-wrt on the R7000? Or perhaps the AC68?

Planning to use it with server N devices, iDevices and a Intel 7260AC equipped laptop.

Your thoughts please?

Currently? Neither. But I would bet on the 374.40 alpha4 RMerlin version myself.

Long term? Asus. Netgear has a bad habit of dropping support for old models once a new one is released.

Btw; 'performant' is not a word.

Currently? Neither. But I would bet on the 374.40 alpha4 RMerlin version myself.

Long term? Asus. Netgear has a bad habit of dropping support for old models once a new one is released.

Btw; 'performant' is not a word.

Thanks, btw performant is a word in Holland. Sorry, my bad.

Right now I would stick with the N66U or N66W. None of these are worthy of a purchase. Can't wait for the review of the AC87U AC2300 Asus Router.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the Netgear R7000, which I bought both because of the reviews, and because there is third-party firmware for it. Both Netgear and Asus are pretty lame when it comes to firmware, only the third-party stuff (RMerlin for Asus, dd-wrt for Netgear) make these routers really usable in my opinion.

So I'm using dd-wrt, which has been stable and reliable for me. Right now, I'm using the latest, 23755, which is working very well for what I'm using on it. Right now, I'm using the core routing and wireless functionality, plus the integrated privoxy for ad blocking. There are a lot more capabilities, when I get around to using them.

The wireless is excellent, coverage and throughput are really about the best I've had here. Somewhat better than the Asus RT-N66U for wireless-n coverage, and I've used the RT-N66U for a couple of years now, so the R7000 with dd-wrt is really doing well. Nice to have the integrated ad blocking as well, since that works for all my clients, wired and wireless. Nice. Not to mention the great dd-wrt web interface, fast and much more complete than Netgear's or Asus's. At the level of RMerlin's efforts with Asus routers (but faster *smile*).

I don't have an Asus RT-AC68U, so you'll have to judge that one for yourself. I've see a lot of conflicting postings here, some are fine, some are experiencing instability. Personally, I'm happy with the R7000 at this point, and the dd-wrt firmware makes a nice piece of hardware very usable.

+1 for R7000. Came from RT-N66u and RT-AC66U. I am comfortable with dd-wrt.
IMO, at dd-wrt forum there are more techie types we can draw upon. No matter
what router there are, we have to make best out of it as is. Waiting for perfect one
will take more than forever, LOL! If I had RT-68U, I'd be happy with it too.

Both of these routers will be history after AC2300 routers hit the market. It's a never ending process. Sell the old one and buy a new one.

Both of these routers will be history after AC2300 routers hit the market. It's a never ending process. Sell the old one and buy a new one.

Not so sure about that. I'm personally not interested in an AC2300 router at this time, and there just might be others like me out there *smile*. Maybe in a couple of years, though, we'll see what's going on at my house when that time comes *smile*.

Yes, it is a never-ending process, that part's clear. However, what one's needs are should play some role in that, as well. There's certainly more to it, like what's going on with cable TV versus internet streaming. And how much HD makes sense. Will people replace their display devices with ones that support higher and higher definition? 3-D hasn't really made a big dent yet, I've heard "3-D is dead" already, so people aren't ready to accept just anything, apparently.

I'm not into the 3D video either. 4K is out now which is nice but not really needed. I am sticking with an N router since out of 23 devices in my home only 4 have 5GHz cards in them. AC1900 routers all they did was upgrade the wireless N to 600Mbps in which you need a 600Mbps adapter that are not even on the market yet. AC1750 and AC1900 still only have 1300 Mbps on the AC 5 GHz band. So what was the reason going from a 1750 router to a 1900 router. Seems like a waist of money to me.

Both of these routers will be history after AC2300 routers hit the market. It's a never ending process. Sell the old one and buy a new one. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE said:
Hi,
If you keep selling the old one which still works well, buying newer one,
it does not make economic sense. You are throwing away your $$$ doing that.
Is it really worth it?, LOL! BTW, I am not a millionaire.

I'm not into the 3D video either. 4K is out now

4K? No way. it is not a standardized official format. I am waiting for real UHD set.

Many 4K HDTV's are out and many people are jumping on the band wagon. But not me I am very happy with my 1080P HDTV.

I asked about R7000 or RT-AC68U, which are AC1900 routers. Are there already clients, devices or adapters that support these speeds? Let alone AC2300.
Can a laptop be upgraded with such an adapter. 2nd Gen. Core i7 laptops too?
Are such adapters available yet? I found one, the Intel AC 7260.
Or will I need a USB adapter for that?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!