What's new

R7000 Port Scan and Do$ Protection interfers with remote service functions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bobsilver

Regular Contributor
I recently put my R7000 in service as my router to test the new firmware V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 with Smart Connect and the Arlo functionality. I have several ports I forward in my home for media, home control, IP cameras etc. After installation of the R7000 while out of home I found I was able to connect to my home services but only briefly. After a refresh of any service I was disconnected. This stumped me.

After spending some time looking at my configuration I discovered a new setting under Advanced/Setup/WAN Setup/"Disable Port Scan and Do$ Protection". This function was unselected which means that it was enabled. This is the default setting. By selecting this and Disabling the Port Scan I was able to reconnect to my services normally.

Now I dont know how this is going to affect security of my router but for my purposes this is the only way I can use it.

Does anyone have any insight to this functionality?

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Advisor

I turned it off too, I have the same Arlo-R7000 setup, it seems sometimes piles up "DDoS attacks" from the Arlo units oddly enough. I disabled the function as well for that reason.

Basically from my understanding, its not going to do you much harm by disabling it.

Here is the official explanation from Netgear about it:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19957/~/what-does-“disable-port-scan-and-dos-protection”-do?

And a discussion on the same: (Read the 5th post by the MOD fordem)
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...able-Port-Scan-and-DoS-Protection/td-p/510921

Last edited: