What's new

R7000 refuses to budge from 100m on the WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ricn in ILM

New Around Here
I have a Netgear R7000 hooked to a Arris SB6183 modem, the router always reports a connection 100m instead of 1000m. When I connect anything else to the modem it connects at 1000m as it should.
Every cable I have tried (cat 5e) connects at 1000m with everything but the router so I don't think I have a cable issue. Also I have tried going back in firmware quite a few renditions. Curiously the current firmware, also, only allows 100m connections on the lan connections, while dropping back to earlier firmware allows 1000m on the lan but not WAN. No matter what I try the Netgear appears to start at 1000m but, always, drops back to 100m.

Can anybody help?
Thanks!

Does a cheap 1GbE switch between them work to negotiate a 1GbE connection?

Does a cheap 1GbE switch between them work to negotiate a 1GbE connection?
I have Netgear GS605 v3 switch that does 1Gbe with everything but the Router WAN which is stuck at 100M.
Also, hooking up a PC to the modem does 1Gbe with 300mbs+ download speeds (Time Warner Ultimate)
Anything through the router is capped at 100.
Maybe the router just needs warming up on the grill?

I have Netgear GS605 v3 switch that does 1Gbe with everything but the Router WAN which is stuck at 100M.
Also, hooking up a PC to the modem does 1Gbe with 300mbs+ download speeds (Time Warner Ultimate)
Anything through the router is capped at 100.
Maybe the router just needs warming up on the grill?

Try connecting the switch between the modem and the router. It has been known to work for some.

Unfortunately, I have tried that, The only nonparticipant is the router.

Sorry, but it isn't clear what you're trying?

You have connected just the modem to the switch and the switch to the router and a computer to the router (only) and it still connects at 100Mbps?

Sorry, but it isn't clear what you're trying?

You have connected just the modem to the switch and the switch to the router and a computer to the router (only) and it still connects at 100Mbps?
I think I have done every combination and the router starts on 1000, briefly, and falls back to 100, every other device stays at 1000m.

May be time to start an RMA for the router.

Maybe just a SW bug - step back for a moment... and measure performance.

Alt thought - the carrier/operator controls the modem, wonder if they've loaded up a config that adjusts the port - DOCSIS 3 allows for this as a network management task...

I hade same problem on a router/gateway and it shows that the port was broken.

One last thing before you give up on the router.

Either try testing your router with another modem from your ISP or a friend. Or, if you have the option, try using the Dual WAN option to use a LAN port as WAN.

Just making sure - the modem and the router are directly connected by a single cable, not going through a wall outlet / in-wall cabling, correct?

If so, then it's most likely a hardware issue.

I am now certain it is a router issue. I hooked up an R8500 and it connected at 1000m wan and allowed 300m+ speed tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!