What's new

[R7000] Use of generic power adapter 4.16A OK??? (OEM is 3.5A)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kamaaina

Occasional Visitor
I got a second R7000 from Ebay (used) and it shipped with the wrong power supply (12V 1.0A). I already have a R7000 so I know OEM is 12V 3.5A. The eBay machine works fine with the OEM adapter I have.

I ordered a generic adapter for the R7000 from an Amazon vendor and selected "R7000" from their list. I just received a generic adapter with 12V 4.16A. The plug fits snug but I haven't dared to power it yet. Is the adapter Ampere rating "up to 4.16" and thus save to use or is it going to fry the router? I assume the 1.0A would not have worked as not enough juice and probably overheated and fried the adapter in the long run. But is this a good combination or should I sent it back and complain that it's the wrong item?

Thanks much. Playing with firmware is one thing, frying the board another...

I think it is "up to 4.16a". The device will pull the power it needs. None of my devices have blown up using this logic.

I am no electrical engineer though... :)

Yeah, that's my hope and works with Apple magsafe power supplies and so on, but I don't want to gamble with the R7000.

Yes, 12V at 1.0A or more (including 3.5A) will work. The only risk I see is if the power supply is faulty or mismarked. Low risk, I'd say.

As Nullity stated the device will only draw the current it needs and nothing more. You could have a PS with 1000 amps and it would still be fine it's the voltage that has to be correct the more current (amps) the better.

When it comes to PSUs make sure to check the voltage and stability. If the router's input is 12V and the power supply outputs a stable 12V DC than you wont have issues. The A rating means the maximum amount of power the power supply can handle. 12V and 1A output means that it outputs a maximum of 12W. As long as the device gets enough power it doesnt matter how many amps the power supply is rated to output as long as the rated amps is higher than the amount of power the device consumes. Consumer routers typically use below 20W but i would try to keep to the original specs as best as possible since you have to take into account USB devices that are being powered at the same time.

Generic or fake PSUs can be a problem if their rated output is very unstable or have overrated output which would not only cause issues to the device but could potentially destroy it. If a PSU gets too hot the output can also be unstable too. For routers the conversion is done on the plug which is why the plugs are bigger and there are no bricks.

The maximum for usb2 is 3W and i think 8W-15W for usb3 depending on the port's maximum rated output.

As Nullity stated the device will only draw the current it needs and nothing more. You could have a PS with 1000 amps and it would still be fine it's the voltage that has to be correct the more current (amps) the better.
we have no redundancies here!

Thanks guys, router has been up and running with the new power brick for >24h, all good. Thanks for the help and "assurance'.

Thanks guys, router has been up and running with the new power brick for >24h, all good. Thanks for the help and "assurance'.

I always look for one which has universal input voltage meaning it is based on switching type circuit. If it's not, poor choice.

Yeah, the quality of the PSU can vary dramatically, even if the same type.

Also one of the reasons you probably want to oversize requirements by at LEAST a step or two. IE if the router will only truly use 8-10w max, you probably want a 2A 12v power supply. Most generic power supplies are pretty crappy, so staying FAR from the max output is a very good idea.

Amperage doesn't matter, so long as it can supply enough, only the voltage. Your device will not pull more than it needs...though if you give it too much voltage, supposing it doesn't fry, if it has not internal voltage regulators, then it WILL be pulling more power, because you are supplying it with more voltage.