What's new

random device suddenly not routed any more

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nuravi

New Around Here
hi

my network topology is like this:
HOST:A and HOST:B and a few HOST's more -> unmanaged switch -> AC66U media bridge ~> AC66U router -> linux gateway -> internet

the arrow -> means physically connected via a cable
the arrow ~> means wlan 5ghz connection

the problem:
using the internet from HOST:A the browser suddenly can't connect to server's any more
from HOST:A i can ping: HOST:B and the media bridge
from HOST:A i can't ping: AC66U router and everything attachted to this router
from AC66U media bridge i can ping: everything (HOST A and B, AC66U router, internet hosts)
from HOST:B i can ping: everything

this scenario appears once a day and is from then permanent for the affected HOST until rebooting either media bridge or ac66u-router
since there are a bunch of host's connected to media bridge the problem described appears on random hosts - sometimes HOST A, sometimes HOST B or others and i reboot the media bridge as soon as i recognize the problem

media bridge log's dont show anything, last entry was few hours ago and since i can use everything from other host's i have no clue why a random host suddenly dont seem to get routed any more?

any ideas/hints/....?

thanks

I noticed that when I had parent controls enabled, if I turned it off everything was fine

Chris

I noticed that when I had parent controls enabled, if I turned it off everything was fine

Chris

I have my first AC66U configured in AP-mode and the second as a media bridge connected to the first one. I don't see any possibilities to configure parental control on either one. And I have been struggeling with this error since I bought the routers. I'm now running 3.0.0.4.374_130 and for the first hour it has been working fine. I actually have better download speed on client connected to the media bridge then before. So far it looks good.

i had 3.0.0.4.372_130 running for a few days and now updated to 3.0.0.4.374_130 as you said - let's see how it goes

regarding parent control: it was never enabled so i dont think its part of the issue on my side

It looks like there is a issue with iPad's, yesterday my wife and my kids where just home and the media bridge didn't last a whole hour before rebooting. This only equipment that was active against the media bridge during the day was the iPad's. But after the kids went to bed, it didn't reboot. Strange.

Guys,
I have the same issue. Media Bridge keeps dropping its wire clients which requires a reboot to fix it. As mentioned, it happens at least once a day.

If you found a setting that fix the issue, please share.

Thanks

Guys,
I have the same issue. Media Bridge keeps dropping its wire clients which requires a reboot to fix it. As mentioned, it happens at least once a day.

If you found a setting that fix the issue, please share.

Thanks

If you telnet to your Media Bridge, you only need to run the command wireless_restart and it will work again

If you telnet to your Media Bridge, you only need to run the command wireless_restart and it will work again

Any specific instructions on how to accomplish it?

I am assuming this command will restart the MB automatically at certain time? Sorry I am new to all this so please give me some more details.

Thanks

Same issue here, no parental control enabled either, and it happens about once a day, I think it happens far more frequently with firmware 354 beta onwards, but can be sure if it's subjective.

Contacted with Asus support service, but it think the did not even understand what the problem was. This is a serious drawback to the product to be honest, and it seems they are not adressing this bug anytime soon.

My network is far more simple, but the problem is the same. Sometimes it reboots, sometimes it simply stops routing to a device
2 Hosts-> AC66U media bridge ~> AC66U router -> Modem-> internet
(using the same symbols as Nuravi)

At least i see I'm not the only one, i even suspected it can be a defective unit on my part.

Same issue here, no parental control enabled either, and it happens about once a day, I think it happens far more frequently with firmware 354 beta onwards, but can be sure if it's subjective.

Contacted with Asus support service, but it think the did not even understand what the problem was. This is a serious drawback to the product to be honest, and it seems they are not adressing this bug anytime soon.

My network is far more simple, but the problem is the same. Sometimes it reboots, sometimes it simply stops routing to a device
2 Hosts-> AC66U media bridge ~> AC66U router -> Modem-> internet
(using the same symbols as Nuravi)

At least i see I'm not the only one, i even suspected it can be a defective unit on my part.

I thought I was going mental with this issue with the media bridge...I thought I was in the clear when I downgraded to the 270 version of the firmware, but the issue still persists. I've swapped out 2 routers to confirm this at this point, so either we have defective hardware or defective firmware. I tried a Western Digital AC bridge and no such issues.

How do we get this issue raised to Asus with the appropriate amount of visibility and expertise?

How do we get this issue raised to Asus with the appropriate amount of visibility and expertise?[/QUOTE]

Asus needs to release a fix for this bug or we will have one of the most expensive/unreliable media bridge in our hands. I tried to report this bug to Asus but I don't even know how. Perhaps Mr. Merlin can relate this information to his contact.

Thanks.

How do we get this issue raised to Asus with the appropriate amount of visibility and expertise?

Asus needs to release a fix for this bug or we will have one of the most expensive/unreliable media bridge in our hands. I tried to report this bug to Asus but I don't even know how. Perhaps Mr. Merlin can relate this information to his contact.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You could send a private message to "CL-Jeremy" he is the Asus rep here. or go on support.asus.com and look up how to file a bug report.

Sending a message to Jeremy would be the easiest. Its important that we file all of these bugs with Asus, They can't fix something if they don't know about it.

Many thanks for the information, i will send a PM to the user and see if there is a propper way of submitting this kind of bugs.

Personally i did not found anything in their support web, and their spanish support just prompted me to wait for the firmware update (but as you said, they can't fix something they don't know broken)

I've sent him an email aswell.

Personally the most stable combination i found is updating only the router and not the media bridge, now i have .374_130 on router, and Merlin's 270.26b on media bridge.

About 30 hour without crash or "stop routing" anomalies. But will most likely happen, sooner or later. I can confirm almost for sure this is far more stable than updating both.

Can you share your settings on the Router 5Ghz as well as your bridge? Do you have any wired clients on the bridge LAN?

Thanks

I've sent him an email aswell.

Personally the most stable combination i found is updating only the router and not the media bridge, now i have .374_130 on router, and Merlin's 270.26b on media bridge.

About 30 hour without crash or "stop routing" anomalies. But will most likely happen, sooner or later. I can confirm almost for sure this is far more stable than updating both.

It's all on stock settings (i can say it for sure because i tested dd-wrt and went back to stock firmware, erasing nvram both of the times), but there is no miraclous formula anyways. Today it crashed again, but I still think its less frequent.

Let's see if we can properly report this problem and get it fixed.

Anyway if i can help you in any way just let me know

I have 3 wired clients and a bunch of 2.4Ghz wireless devices connected to the media bridge, the one configured as router is almost free of load, only some wireless clients from time to time

Last edited:
Today the "i don't like to route this PC" issue came again. Let's try 270.26b on both routers one more time, I remember that before last months' firmware upgrades was not rock-solid, but quite a lot more stable. Quite frustrating, right?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online