What's new

random device suddenly not routed any more

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Damn right... and it is quite embarrassing for me to spend this kind of money to replace my trusted WRT-54G set-up. Now I have to tell my family members to turn on/off the media bridge everyday (yes children....it is a brand new feature from Asus....xD).

Maybe I should test them in AP/MB mode rather than Router/MB mode to see if may the router is the culprit. But at this point, I am just too discourage to do more test for Asus.

Today the "i don't like to route this PC" issue came again. Let's try 270.26b on both routers one more time, I remember that before last months' firmware upgrades was not rock-solid, but quite a lot more stable. Quite frustrating, right?

Maybe I should test them in AP/MB mode rather than Router/MB mode to see if may the router is the culprit. But at this point, I am just too discourage to do more test for Asus.

Sorry, I'm running the AP/MB version and my kids have to restart the MB on a daily bases, several times a day in fact. :mad:

im kind of disappointed that i bought 2 devices from asus and they never worked
currently i'm also restarting the bridge few times a day

i also did a test where i was TCP connecting/disconnecting to a host for half an hour every second in hope it may reveal some kind of buffer overrun issue in the ac66u driver
but it worked without problems

a few hours later i needed to restart the media bridge again :(

Got no response so far, to be honest in the middle of summer I expected it quite a bit, can´t blame anyone for holidays :p

But to be honest, this is something should have been fixed long time ago.

Still trying to setup DD-WRT with WDS to see if it does the trick with better stability, but i had no luck, my router can't even get WAN IP correctly (and it does without even mac cloning on stock firmware, as well as my notebook connecting the network card to the modem directly)

For now I recommend anyone having the issues described to stay on 270 on both routers. Still some stability issues, but far from daily resets on newer versions. Until Asus releases a version fixing this, luckily RMerlin gave us nice news and they at least are aware of the problems with media bridge and working on them.

Don't know why Asus removed from their site what seems to be the best firmware for media bridge.

Performance is sightly lower with old drivers and no beamforming, but honestly, I prefer that much better than 2-3 resets every day. The loss is not huge anyways.

I have a usb hd connected to the usb router's port and I have no problems.
I use the latest asus FW and the router works as AP.
I have 3 desktops, 3 laptops, smart TV, an iPad 2 and an unknown tablet (chinese stuff I think) and some smartphones. I can access the usb hd from all these devices and i can watch movies or pictures stored on the hd.

So, maybe it's the combination router mode and MB? I'm not sure :confused:

I have a usb hd connected to the usb router's port and I have no problems.
I use the latest asus FW and the router works as AP.
I have 3 desktops, 3 laptops, smart TV, an iPad 2 and an unknown tablet (chinese stuff I think) and some smartphones. I can access the usb hd from all these devices and i can watch movies or pictures stored on the hd.

You can bet for it, I thought the problem was in the media bridge mode alone, but it seems that if you update ONLY the AP and keep the old firm in media bridge mode the issues reappear

It seems a problem with drivers or just some kind of buffer overrun easily reproducible in MB mode. Luckily, the access point alone seems stable with any number of devices in my case too.

I remembered 270.26b quite stable, seems it is still the case (21 hours with no crashes and counting). No rock solid anyways

Last edited:
You can bet for it, I thought the problem was in the media bridge mode alone, but it seems that if you update ONLY the AP and keep the old firm in media bridge mode the issues reappear

It seems a problem with drivers or just some kind of buffer overrun easily reproducible in MB mode. Luckily, the access point alone seems stable with any number of devices in my case too.

I remembered 270.26b quite stable, seems it is still the case (21 hours with no crashes and counting). No rock solid anyways

I know, it is completely off topic, but I just want to say that it drives me crazy that the names of the devices do not match with their ip addresses

I have a usb hd connected to the usb router's port and

It's the MB mode that does the trick, or maybe we better call not doing the trick. I run with AP mode on the ASUS AC66u with the MB connected to it. I have now reverted back to the 270 build and hoping that will do the trick for me.

EDIT: I have only reverted the MB to the 270 firmware, as the router in AP mode seems very stable.

It's the MB mode that does the trick, or maybe we better call not doing the trick. I run with AP mode on the ASUS AC66u with the MB connected to it. I have now reverted back to the 270 build and hoping that will do the trick for me.

EDIT: I have only reverted the MB to the 270 firmware, as the router in AP mode seems very stable.

I had to downgrade both of them, the crashes in the media bridge side still occur if the AP is on latest version. At the moment the only semi-stable condition I found is both on 270. I can live with one reset per week, but not with 2-3 per day.

The most irritating thing was that I was going from a Netgear WNDR4000 + Netgear WN2000RPT solution where I had to recycle the repeater 1-2 times a week. I promised my wife that this solution would be more stable. Shame on me! :)

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!