What's new

Range extender DNS settings?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

J0dest3r

New Around Here
Hi All,

Long time lurker 1st time poster. I have a range extender which I have using a different SSID which I have changed the DNS settings on. My hopes were to have the clients that connect to it get it's DNS settings rather than the ones defied in the main router, that is not happening however. I have it all setup under manual IP address and manual DNS, but the client still gets the DNS from the main router. Is there any way to configure this so that the client will get the extender's DNS settings? Going to a static IP and DNS settings on the end devices is not possible /desirable in this situation.

Thx J0dest3r.

DNS settings would be in the router, or PCs like Windows allow you to set a static IP for a given preferred DNS

Is your range extender a range extender or a re-purposed router?

If it is a router it should be possible to use different DNS preference.

I have the router that I use to run my VPN behind my primary router. Since my VPN uses a VPN server I use DNS servers that work best there instead of the local DNS server provided by my ISP.

VPN router is connected LAN port on primary router to WAN port on secondary VPN router. VPN router assigns DHCP in own range that is not in sub net of primary router.

Is your range extender a range extender or a re-purposed router?

If it is a router it should be possible to use different DNS preference.

I have the router that I use to run my VPN behind my primary router. Since my VPN uses a VPN server I use DNS servers that work best there instead of the local DNS server provided by my ISP.

VPN router is connected LAN port on primary router to WAN port on secondary VPN router. VPN router assigns DHCP in own range that is not in sub net of primary router.
I don't think this is correct- since the DHCP, routing and NAT functions in a range extender or Access point (or re-purposed WiFi router) are unused.