What's new

Range Question on Synology RT2600ac

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wrecked

New Around Here
I have an Asus 68u presently and I use a Netgear extender to get good speed to my basement WDTV.

Do you think the RT2600 would get better range than my ac68u? I read somewhere that extenders aren't good to use.....

Thanks all!

Switching to a 4 stream router from a three stream can provide more range.

Extenders work by receiving and retransmitting data. If this is done with one radio, it takes twice the air time, so you get approximately half the throughput.

Some newer dual-band extenders are able to receive on the 2.4 GHz radio and retransmit on the 5 GHz (or vice versa). This avoids the throughput reduction and can provide higher extended throughput. But there are many variables.

Switching to a 4 stream router from a three stream can provide more range.

Extenders work by receiving and retransmitting data. If this is done with one radio, it takes twice the air time, so you get approximately half the throughput.

Some newer dual-band extenders are able to receive on the 2.4 GHz radio and retransmit on the 5 GHz (or vice versa). This avoids the throughput reduction and can provide higher extended throughput. But there are many variables.

I have the Netgear AC1200 (EX6200) Extender. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQ883QW/?tag=snbforums-20

It looks like it is dual-band. Do you think I'd still be better off getting rid of the extender and getting the RT2600ac? I'm fine either way just want to do what makes the most sense.

There are too many variables to give you a definitive answer. You'd have to try it and see.

I think B&H has the 2600 in stock. Will grab one and see how it goes. Unfortunately, I think they have a 15% restocking fee if it doesn't work out.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!