What's new

Really weird printer problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BigAl.nz

New Around Here
Hi Guys,

We have got a workgroup of about 3 computers. The layout is something like:

<Internet>---<ADSL Mdm>---<Linksys WRT54GL/DDWRT>---<Switch>---<Comps+Printers>

Things seem to have been working ok until we added a HP 300DN printer. Installed the PCL6 driver on each PC on the network and printed a test page - all was good.

Then after a day or so a few people complained they could not print. Jobs were getting stuck in the print que and not going anywhere. They could only be removed from the print que by restarting print spooler service.

This keeps happening intermittently. There does not seem to be any pattern to the application sending the print job nor the size of the print job.

I have tried a different port on the switch, a different cable and and different jack on the wall. No diff. I also ahev sent 50,000 pings to the printer one day as a crude way to monitor any comms issues. No packet loss was encountered.

Whatever it is, it appears to be common to all 3 PC's, and the second printer seems to be suffering from the same problem now. This makes me think its either (a) something on all 3 PC's - like a firewall? They have Kaspersky Internet Security...and I did try to turn the firewall component off, but didnt make any diff. Might try complete uninstall to be sure?
(b) the switch is screwing things up (unlikely?)

Apparently becuase the IPs of the printers are set in there setup on the printer when a job goes from a PC to the printer its all done on layer 2 so the router never becomes involved, so that can be ruled out?

I am not sure what to do now. I could connect the printer via a PC and share it, but thats a bit of a kludge and I shouldnt have to do that.

It has also been suggested to install the printer via the windows add printer option so I dont get all the extra junk that HP put in there drivers, but I am skeptical about this solution too.

Can any of the knowledgeable people here give me some other things to try or suggestions/tools I can use to see whats going on?

What makes it hard is the intermittent nature, your never sure if you have fixed it.

Cheers in advance :confused:

-Al

I am more fond of making the printers on a static IP that is outside of the usual DHCP pool. For example, if you router is at 192.168.1.1, commonly the workstations will get 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101, .102, etc. That leaves 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99 outside of the DHCP pool..and this is where I usually put my static devices..servers at .10, .11, etc. Printers at .20, .21, etc.

So I make the printer 192.168.1.20
When adding, I do the add printer wizard in Windows....local printer, do not detect, create a new port, Standard TCP/IP port...type in the IP address you gave the printer, and complete the wizard...drivers...have disk, etc.

I usually give the printer a static IP address via making a reservation on the DHCP server..can be the routers DHCP service. If not..log into the web admin of the printer and assign it there.

As Stonecat suggested, assigning an static IP outside of the DHCP scope is a good way to sidestep many IP-related issues.

If you want to diagnose mapping issues on the clients' side, next time there is an issue check Printer Properties>Ports Tab> select the appropriate printer, then Configure Ports button and compare the printer's IP to the one configured.

As Stonecat suggested, assigning an static IP outside of the DHCP scope is a good way to sidestep many IP-related issues.

If you want to diagnose mapping issues on the clients' side, next time there is an issue check Printer Properties>Ports Tab> select the appropriate printer, then Configure Ports button and compare the printer's IP to the one configured.

Thats a good idea. I will try that.

Also if I now want to manually add the printer (3rd instance of same printer as I already have PCL5 and PCL6 drivers installed) - do I need to remove the other drivers first?

Another little brian wave I had was that the Internet Security, Kaspersky, may have changed the local network to public (as opposed to trusted) when the router firmware was updated.

See how i go - thanks.

-Al

I would remove the other instances before manually adding the printer, but leave the drivers unless they present a problem.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!