What's new

Rebooting your router on a schedule?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gregh

Regular Contributor
I have issues with my 2,4 network hanging or going down so I reboot my router once a week using the internal scheduled in the gt-ac5300 router. But my question is could I use a smart plug to basically "unplug" the router power and turn it back on instead of using the internal scheduler? does the internal scheduled have a advantage instead of just removing power? any gotcha i should be worried about?

I have issues with my 2,4 network hanging or going down so I reboot my router once a week using the internal scheduled in the gt-ac5300 router. But my question is could I use a smart plug to basically "unplug" the router power and turn it back on instead of using the internal scheduler? does the internal scheduled have a advantage instead of just removing power? any gotcha i should be worried about?

Will the smart plug be able to turn on without internet.

For years I have relied on the UK version of this Smart Socket (SIM) and it has proved a lifesaver in an emergency.

I have not had any corruption on the attached USB Flash drive, but amtm has the disk-checker if you are concerned.

For years I have relied on the UK version of this Smart Socket (SIM) and it has proved a lifesaver in an emergency.

I have not had any corruption on the attached USB Flash drive, but amtm has the disk-checker if you are concerned.
ok good to know. I was just concerned if i use a smart plug to turn off/on the power that iu risks corruption in the firmware or may cause damage to the router it self

yes it will remember its schedule until you change it. I use tp-link smart devices in my house

I would think it depends on where the scheduler runs. Does it run on the local device, or from the cloud.

If setup to change based on Amazon Echo or Google Mini, I would think it would not work without internet.

But why? What's wrong with using the router's reboot scheduler? That seems like the cleaner solution.

It is sad you have to do this. You should not have to reboot a router unless you upgrade it.