What's new

Recommend 2 Wireless N Router Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dja2k

New Around Here
I currently have a 3 Linksys WRT54G (DDWRT) in WDS mode. I am upgrading to an Wireless N trying to get a setup to handle mainly HD streaming, XBOX 360, and Torrents. The pic shows my coverage area. Looking at these routers & adapters, but maybe there are others you can recommend. I don't even know if a single band router like the Asus RT-N16 is enough.

Wireless N Routers:
Asus RT-N56U (Dual Band)
Linksys E3000 (Dual Band)

Wireless N USB Dongles
ASUS USB-N13
Cisco-Linksys AE1000

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

dja2k

Attachments

• 4-18-2011 1-30-00 AM.jpg
    4-18-2011 1-30-00 AM.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 528
If you are trying to do HD video streaming, you are not going to be happy with performance via wireless repeating.

I'd consider using MoCA or HomePlug AV to connect your primary router and secondary router(s)-turned-into-Access-Points.

If you're determined to go wireless, the NETGEAR WNDR3700, 3800 and 4000 support WDS.

I'd consider using MoCA or HomePlug AV to connect your primary router and secondary router(s)-turned-into-Access-Points
I thought of that but I don't think it will work from building #1 to building #2. What brand of powerline adapters do you recommend? HomePlug AV are from ZyXEL which get mixed reviews due to software and installation.

If you're determined to go wireless, the NETGEAR WNDR3700, 3800 and 4000 support WDS.
The Asus and Linksys do WDS too, so you're saying the NETGEAR ones are better than those?

dja2k

Last edited:
HomePlug AV is an industry standard and adapters are available from many suppliers. See HomePlug AV Adapter Roundup.

I just don't think you're going to be happy trying to stream 1080p HD from Room 1 to Room 3 via a wireless repeated link. Netflix maybe. 1080p HD, no.

If the two buildings are on the same AC service, you can give Homeplug a shot. My father-in-law uses HomePlug to run his Internet from his main house to a workshop building.

I'd seriously consider burying / stringing an Ethernet cable between the two buildings if at all possible.

If it has to be a wireless link, get a pair of bridges with integrated antennas like the Ubiquiti's NanoStation M or EnGenius ENH200. Mount these line of site to each other and run Ethernet to each one.

Thanks for the suggestions....

I tried a Powerline kit and there is no connectivity from building 1 and 2, so that is out of the picture. Thinking of using a Powerline Kit but for inside building 2 instead of a USB Wireless dongle. I get about 1.0-1.1MB\sec with the Belkin Gigabit Powerline Kit (don't know how good they are). Will probably be buying the NETGEAR XAVB5001 kit.

Will run a cable between the two buildings to eliminate that long run between them.

I still need to upgrade my routers to step up to gigabyte LAN. I found out that the Linksys E3000 don't even do repeater \ bridge, so those are out. Reviewing the WNDR3700 as a choice but don't know yet and also the ASUS RT-N16.

dja2k

Last edited:
Is this setup possible using my existing WRT54G routers? Or do I have to take out my 3rd router from this setup? Thanks

dja2k

Attachments

• 4-19-2011 3-07-48 PM.jpg
    4-19-2011 3-07-48 PM.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 206
If you run the network cable, you don't need additional routers. All you need are switches.

You can reuse the router as switches, though. Just use Method 1.

I don't want just switches in the other building as I still want a wireless network and the wireless from router 1 will not cover everything. I don't want to eliminate my wireless completely as some wireless devices are still used occasionally. That's why I have them as Wireless access points.

I didn't run a hard wire yet, but I did remove the WDS chain from Router 2 and 3 and used the Netgear Powerline on the upload port or Router 2 which got double the bandwidth on Router 3. I read you can keep the same SSID, just change the wireless channel, so that's what I did to keep the wireless. Thanks!

dja2k

Last edited:
In the far building, put in a switch. Feed that with cat5 from the main building, if you can. Else feed it with a WiFi bridge. Connect some PCs or printers or whatever to the switch.

Then if you need WiFi service in the far building, connect to the switch a WiFi access point (AP). Common routers can be faked as an AP.

Pretty much I have all my 3 routers as AP right now (2 in WDS, 1 via Powerline). All I need is the Cat5 run from building to building and I am done. I can access all 3 routers from my main computer plus the Neatgear software shows the 2 Powerline adapters (RX 149 Mbps, TX 115 Mbps).

dja2k

Attachments

• 4-19-2011 3-07-48 PM.jpg
    4-19-2011 3-07-48 PM.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Nit: if the wifi routers are configured/used as APs, then it would be less confusing to refer to them as APs, since they don't route.