What's new

Recommendation for stable ac router w decent range?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oldtrlrnr

New Around Here
Hi, folks,

I'm helping a friend whose Belkin n router just died & he needs a new Wi-Fi router ASAP. I've been reading about the new 802.11ac routers, their range limitations, firmware instability, etc. Seems silly to just buy an n router now, if only for future capabilities, as few laptops or smartphones support ac yet.

I'm continuing my research, but sure would appreciate suggestions on 802.11ac routers that are relatively stable and have decent range. My buddy isn't savvy in firmware updates, and I don't want to recommend a unit that would need a lot of fiddling.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

You're asking for a stable router that won't need a lot of firmware updates for a wifi protocol that is still officially in "draft" status. It's on schedule to be finalized and approved between 11/2013-3/2014.

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/11/Reports/802.11_Timelines.htm

Unless he's doing seriously bandwidth intensive stuff, with other AC equipped clients he can take his pick from any number of solid N600 & N900 routers out there today. Even in the case of N900 he won't get maximum performance unless his 5ghz clients are also 3 stream.

Check the reviews on this site, cnet, etc, there are lots of good routers by Asus, Linksys, Netgear, etc that are pretty affordable.

If he wants to pay a little more for a decent router that is falling off a log simple to use & setup Apple's routers are solid (if slightly overpriced) but available in draft AC spec today and would probably be the one I'd recommend to a family member that has no desire or ability to login to a normal router's webpage setup UI. Apple is also the only router I've ever had die or go wonky after awhile, be able to drive 10 minutes to an Apple store, and have them hand me a brand new one (even an updated model if mine was phased out) and be home within an hour.