What's new

Recommendations? Upgrade from DGL-4500

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sduya

New Around Here
Greetings SNB forum readers,

So, I was at Fry's and was buying some additional cat6 cable and started looking at the wireless routers. I get to talking with the associate there and after looking up my current router (D-Link DGL-4500) and explained how we live in a dorm that we just plug into the wall for the network, and that we have a lot of issues with dropped connections. He told me that my Dlink was probably the cause given its age (2008) and it is not made for the kind of signal or connection I need. It was cool back then but now its out of date. Let me just list some things here:

The problem:
Our primary means of tv entertainment is via Xbox360 apps (hbogo, netflix, etc) Unfortunately, we don't have an option for cable and the school has provided Direct TV but we don't get our own box and plug into a poor SD signal. When we stream content we get about 5 minutes of connection and then it drops. The Fry's Tech in essence said that this was because of a newer type of fluctuating connection that my old router couldn't handle. Another tech that got involved said that the connection dropping was alarming in itself and we talked about IT incompetence (which I think may be valid at my very small school) but he noted that the connection for streaming is not usually steady or static but varies in speed and may be overloading or causing my router to drop. Anyway, if you are still with me...

What we are looking for:
We need a router that can provide us with a stable connection to stream HD content. I play some online games and would like a stable connection.

I have about $150 bucks to put towards it give or take.

His recommendation is the Linksys EA3500 currently at $129. He said it has a media mode or something that can better handle the movies or whatever. I know very little about networking the tech advised me to set my mhzs to 40 and something else to 400ms.

Additionally, I tried to look at some of the stats on the SNB page and have no clue looking at the stats of 2.5 downlink this and uplink that- please don't advise me to go there and find the "best one" for me. Is there an "all around" best router feature on the site, or "all around media streaming" filter? Any thoughts?

All comments/advice/recommendations are welcome.

Thank you

Actually the router you have is just fine - run inSSIDer or another similar tool to get a better channel - upgrading a 2.4GHz router isn't going to buy you much than you already have...

The FRY's guy - he's spiffed to move product, not to provide knowledgeable advice...

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!