What's new

Recommendations wanted--router/bridge/adapter combo

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

murphy2u

New Around Here
Thanks in advance to all who take the time to reply/post on this thread.

I am reconfiguring and rebuilding my legacy network, but based on my existing equipment and requirements (and reading lots of SNB articles/forum posts), I have decided to rebuild from scratch for the most part. Request feedback on my network configuration and proposed items for purchase as follows.

My network requirements:
Item #1: Primary router and wireless AP (downstairs/media center location)
--WAN interface with Scientific Atlanta DPC-2203 cable modem (10/100 Mbps port) at that location
--LAN/router interface for a NAS (DNS-323, 10/100/1000 Mbps port), requiring LAN based management (no DNS lookup needed though).
--LAN/Router interface for 3 100/10 Mbps port clients
--Xbox 360
--Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player
--Yamaha RX-V2700 Receiver (internet radio capable)
--Wireless AP support for upstairs wireless bridge (see Item #2 below)
Proposed product: WRT610N
--It has looks to have the best combination of Location A 5.0 GHz and location C 2.4GHz performance
--I already have a cooling fan in my media center that I can use to mitigate potential heat issues of the WRT610N
--Seems like latest firmware has improved initial stability issues
Products also considered:
--WNDR3700--runs cooler, might be more stable, but more expensive;
--DIR-825—better performance for my A/C locations, but

Item #2: Wireless bridge (upstairs location, ~Location C equivalent (about 25’ away, through wood/carpet floor, no walls))
--Wireless bridge to downstairs router/AP
--LAN/Router interface for 2 1000 Mbps port desktop computer clients
--LAN/Router interface for a USB print server.
--Based on location, 5.0 GHz is not likely useful/needed
Proposed product: WET610N (+ existing DI-724 GU router which provides 4 gigabit ports and a USB print server)—cheap, good performance (would deactivate the DI-724’s 802.11g AP of course)
Other products considered:
--DIR-655—would have been perfect, but Dlink removed the bridge mode in a 2007 firmware update that can’t be reversed (…stupid and frustrating) (BTW—Tim—you might consider updating your DIR-655 A4 review to mention that the bridge mode is now gone).
--DAP-1522—comparable performance, includes ports, but more expensive and likewise doesn’t eliminate need for using my DI-724GU as a print server; don’t want to reward Dlink for removing the bridge functionality from the DIR-655….

Item #3: Laptop adapter
Laptop is typically used 7-10’ away from downstairs router within unobstructed line of sight (~Location A equivalent).
Both USB and PCMCIA ports are available.
Proposed product: WPC600N

Again, request thoughts and feedback on trying to make a good purchase....

Your selections are basically good. There are no perfect N products, so each will have its good and bad performance points.

You might want to look at this thread on the WET610N. Note that the WGA600N could be an alternative if you want to stay with Cisco/Linksys.

Good to Know

Tim--as always you have brought one more good piece of information to light regarding the potential WET issue. Assuming I order through Newegg (with their good return policy), I'll probably give the WET a shot just to see if I can help add another data point one way or the other on its potental issues (I can afford to use my upstairs machines to do a bit of experimenting/trobleshooting/down time if needed). If the WET is problematic in my application too, then I'll either do the 1522 or the 600 as fall back options. ;)

I purchased the WRT610N back in February when CC was closing it's doors along with three WUSB600N's and I used a Buffalo bridge WLI-TX4-AG300N for my entertainment center.

I can honestly say the 610N was not the best idea, the 5GHZ range is atrocious, even the 2.4GHZ drops out at certain points in my house which is only 2200 square feet. I have the router located on the first floor, and everything on the main level works great, moving upstairs to three bedrooms and signals drop significantly can not stay connected on 5GHZ and the 2.4GHZ drops signal strength to very low levels and occasionally drops clients, and I am talking about clients that are no more than nine feet away from the router straight up through one floor. However anything and everything on the first floor can connect and never drops.

I moved from an old WRT54GS and three wireless linksys G devices that never had issues to this N network. Only two clients actually benefitted from this change, mine which is a wired gigabit connection and one wireless station. The bridge suffers because the firmware is buggy from Buffalo, the bridge does not support any of the channels in the higher range and drops significantly when any data is transmitted.

Basically I spent $400 to upgrade two clients. It was not worth the money or effort to do that considering my old setup ran without issue for six years.

Oh and Linksys support is not what it used to be, it is now outsourced and after spending 84 minutes on the phone with them to find out they wanted to drop my network back to G speeds to stabilize it. That was there fix and answer to my dropped connections. Not acceptable by any means. I was livid with them.

My only hope is to try the new DD-WRT builds to see if I can get and keep constant signals upstairs. I truly think that this router could have been great if maybe they had used external antennaes or at the very least offered the option to add an external antenna of my own as an aftermarket accessory.

If DD-WRT does not work I will be ebaying this router for a new Netgear as it has at least gotten good coverage so far.