What's new

Recommended wifi router for parental controls for 3 different groups.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

matl

New Around Here
Looking for a good router recommendation for handling the parental controls based on time and group. But with the ability to have multiple blackouts during the day...

For example kids with bedtimes @ 8pm on school nights would have Internet "off" from dinner to dinner + 45 minutes... Then off from 8:15pm until 7am. On weekends I can change times for bedtime.
Of course this group could have high levels of blockage..

Kids with 10pm bedtime would have 10:20 pm until 6:30am off.

Guests would have a 3rd schedule
And
Parents could have 24x7 access as there are work reasons to be available online.

Typically I see MAC address based control... And at times it is MAC address to IP then IP range to a schedule. (This can also help w hard wired workarounds too...).

My current netgear only has 1 timeframe for "internet off" - not as flexible as I am looking for.

Anyone have luck with this type of setup?

Any other features that would be helpful?
Thanks in advance,
Mat

Any Asus router (N66 and better) should work. Check it out on the Router UI Emulator thread right here under Wireless Buying Advice.
  1. Under Parental Controls you can set any number of different on/off times for each day of the week by MAC address.
  2. Under Wireless/Professional you can turn each radio on and off once a day.
  3. Under Guest you can have three (and three more) SSIDs each with their own UserID/password and allow only X hours of access.
#1 looks like the best fit for you, the others might be useful.

While you're protecting your kids from themselves you might check out Open DNS - Family Shield. Simply plug 208.67.222.123 into the WAN DNS Setting; it's the address of a decent (and free) Name Server that is preconfigured to block adult content.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!