What's new

Recs: does it matter what adapter to get for Netgear WNDR 3700?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bovinda

New Around Here
Sorry for the newb questions but...after browsing for awhile, decided on the Netgear WNDR 3700 for a home LAN/WAN. I have two questions, and appreciate any and all suggestions.

1. What adapter should I get for a desktop computer that will connect wirelessly? I thought it didn't have to be Netgear (the review on SNB I think used an Intel 5300 card?), but someone on Anandtech said it should be Netgear. Any recs? (Is a USB adapter better than an add-in PCI card for any particular reason?)

2. Why does the simultaneous number of connections matter so much? After reading around on here for a bit, I've seen that mentioned a bunch of times, but it doesn't make sense to me. For example, I've got four computers, and I think that's a little more than average for the typical home user. Who would need thousands of simultaneous connections? What am I missing? :confused:

Thanks for any and all guidance! :)

Sorry for the newb questions but...after browsing for awhile, decided on the Netgear WNDR 3700 for a home LAN/WAN. I have two questions, and appreciate any and all suggestions.

1. What adapter should I get for a desktop computer that will connect wirelessly? I thought it didn't have to be Netgear (the review on SNB I think used an Intel 5300 card?), but someone on Anandtech said it should be Netgear. Any recs? (Is a USB adapter better than an add-in PCI card for any particular reason?)

2. Why does the simultaneous number of connections matter so much? After reading around on here for a bit, I've seen that mentioned a bunch of times, but it doesn't make sense to me. For example, I've got four computers, and I think that's a little more than average for the typical home user. Who would need thousands of simultaneous connections? What am I missing? :confused:

Thanks for any and all guidance! :)

Frankly you can use any wireless adapter you want. USB is more use on laptop and netbooks. Desktop would use PCI or PCI-E (this one has better through-put) due to the bus speed is faster than the old PCI. There is also PCI-X which are much more expensive found more on workstations and servers.

The issue right now on wireless adapters is that most are single band 2.4GHz, but the router you want is dual band it handles both 2.4GHz and 5GHz band. If you want to use the 5GHz band then it is recommended to get the adapter from the same company as the router. These are usually tested with the router in question.

MSC, is important for gaming online and P2P downloading. The more connections the faster the all process is. Before 200 connections was okay but now the need to go higher than 200 is the question. I have ESR9850 that sport 19,721 MSC, when I use P2P client I can see how quickly it can gather data packets in transfer receive sync from 0kb/s to the high 4mb/s. When the router is only at MCE=4,000 it not as quick to gather packets (data stream being received by the host (remote users) the higher the connection rate the higher the number of connections.

The system you use to such connections has to be able to handle such request too. Dual or Quad core and more than 2MB of RAM more like 4MB to play it safe.

So if you buy the WDNR3700 it would be more than what you need, if you needs are for using 5GHz then this is the router for you. If you need Gig routing then this is the router for you. If you need a traffic monitor then this is the router for you.

See the Wireless FAQ, items 8 & 9.

It matters mainly for P2P (BitTorrent) and online gaming. But it's not the only or even primary factor to consider in choosing a router and some people attach way too much importance to it.

Thanks for the great responses. I think my question has become this: what's a good PCIe-based, dual-band capable wireless adapter to get for my desktop?

This is based my newly formed belief that PCIe card will have improved heat distribution and better throughput for a desktop. (But do they really get good reception inside a desktop case? That's the only thing I'd be skeptical about.)

Also it seems the Intel 5300 is now a legacy product, and Newegg doesn't sell it anymore. And the only PCI product from Netgear isn't dual-band capable.

So any recs on a good adapter within these constraints?

Tim, sorry I missed the FAQ with my first post. That was helpful, thank you. And thanks for putting together such a great site!

And Tipstir, thanks for the informative response as well!

I should probably update this to say that whatever anyone suggests, I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. I went out and got a Netgear WNDA3100v2 just to try it, and after spending a frustrating 30 min on the phone with Netgear's customer service was told it's not compatible with Windows 7 64. :confused: I couldn't find anywhere that it said that, on the box or on their website. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Ah, the old got-bit-in-the-butt-by-Win7-64bit problem!

But I'm surprised that the driver didn't install as a 32 bit app?

To your other question, PCI adapters are on their way out. USB is the dominant format. You can put an Intel 6300 (the 5300's replacement) on an adapter card (there are even PCIe to USB adapters (see hwtools.net)! But you then need to deal with adding antennas.

All things considered, you might be better off with a bridge like the D-Link DAP-1522 that connects via Ethernet. Much more flexible as to where you place it than USB!
Engenius also makes some decent ones.

Thanks again for the response. I'll take a look at the 6300, but I'm intrigued by the "bridge" idea you suggested.

Lemme see if I'm clear. Something like the D-Link DAP-1522 you suggested could be placed in the separate room, and connected to multiple devices, right? And I could plug the PC (via internet) into the D-Link DAP-1522 and connect to my network that way - is that basically how a bridge works? That seems like it would be more practical for what I'm looking for by far, as I could connect several devices in that other room that way.

If that's what you mean, I take it the D-Link DAP-1522 would be a good partner for the Netgear WNDR3700, huh?

BTW, I immensely appreciate your (and everyone's) help - I just started residency and my hours are insane, so the guidance I'm getting here is great (e.g., I never knew about bridges before). Thanks again.

Thanks again for the response. I'll take a look at the 6300, but I'm intrigued by the "bridge" idea you suggested.

Lemme see if I'm clear. Something like the D-Link DAP-1522 you suggested could be placed in the separate room, and connected to multiple devices, right? And I could plug the PC (via internet) into the D-Link DAP-1522 and connect to my network that way - is that basically how a bridge works? That seems like it would be more practical for what I'm looking for by far, as I could connect several devices in that other room that way.
Yes. You understand fine. The DAP-1522 is a decent bridge choice. You could also use another WNDR3700 or Cisco Linksys WET610N.

Ended up ordering the D-Link DAP-1522 because of its affordability. Thanks again for the help and suggestions - this site has been great!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!