What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.11 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It would be nice if there was an option in stealth mode to have the power led on only.

The constant flashing of the all the other leds is annoying, but I like to be able to glance and see the power light is on.

Is using 2 different resolvers a better choice than both from same? I.e., q9&q1 as dns1&2 vs q9&149.xxx?
I feel using multiple resolvers from several providers is not a good idea. I stick to using two resolvers from the same provider for IPV4 and two for IPV6. Cloudflare 1 and Cloudflare 2 or Quad9 1 and Quad9 2 and etc. If you are using IPV6 I would alternate IPV4 with IPV6 and do that twice. Some IPV4 resolvers will not resolve IPV6 addresses.

All R&D is done at their Taiwanese HQ. Asus USA has next to no influence over them, they're just a branch office for marketing purposes.
I kind of feel like they have a dev team in a spanish speaking country some where as well, my argument to support this theory is the many times i've seen spanish words listed inside the english version of the gui.

I feel using multiple resolvers from several providers is not a good idea. I stick to using two resolvers from the same provider for IPV4 and two for IPV6. Cloudflare 1 and Cloudflare 2 or Quad9 1 and Quad9 2 and etc. If you are using IPV6 I would alternate IPV4 with IPV6 and do that twice. Some IPV4 resolvers will not resolve IPV6 addresses.

Just out of curiousity. Can you specify why exactly you feel using DNS servers from different providers is not a good idea?

Just out of curiousity. Can you specify why exactly you feel using DNS servers from different providers is not a good idea?
the only use you get out of it is redundancy. there are certain features that one dns server may have that another does not, that don't compliment each other.

for example filtered v.s. non-filtered, logged v.s. unlogged, qname-minimization-vs no qname-minimization.

the question remains are you losing something with one only to gain a little redundancy.

Yup - that's EXACTLY what I do. I use Cloudflare's IPv6 dns1 first, then the IPv4 equivalent, then the IPv6 dns2, and so forth.

Is there any validity to using IPv6 DNS Servers on a IPv4 network, if the ISP you subscribe to doesn't use IPv6?

No, there is no active DNS resolution going on over IPv6 when configured as extra servers, or on their own, for that matter, while on a IPv4 connection to my ISP. :D

Last edited:
Yup - that's EXACTLY what I do. I use Cloudflare's IPv6 dns1 first, then the IPv4 equivalent, then the IPv6 dns2, and so forth.
I see where you are coming from by doing this but both addresses can return aa and aaaa addresses, so I just place them in normal order.

Is there any validity to using IPv6 DNS Servers on a IPv4 network, if the ISP you subscribe to doesn't use IPv6?

No, there is no active DNS resolution going on over IPv6 when configured as extra servers, or on their own, for that matter, while on a IPv4 connection to my ISP. :D
there are some cases where that is not the case, but in your case i'd say it is.

It would be nice if there was an option in stealth mode to have the power led on only.

The constant flashing of the all the other leds is annoying, but I like to be able to glance and see the power light is on.
duct tape is all you need

@RMerlin sorry to bug ya bro. Was curious of your fq_codel implemtation built in. What is the target timing you have set or is it dynamic at all?

Also i found once but cant seem to now. Whats the grep command for viewing which is being used on each interface? Like sfq fifo fq_codel etc? There was a command that showed all interfaces which would be handy for me atm while im diggin :)

im not familiar with wemo stuff but a lot of new devices have pretty aggressive sleep modes and there all different.. could be related.

View attachment 17681 So early this week I reset all my access points to factory defaults and manually set them up again. I was getting it no disassociation and association notifications.

I was quite pleased about this

And just last night there was a firmware update it for WeMo products. After doing it for where update I ended up with, association and disassociation notifications in the system log.

I don’t quite understand why this would be occurring, maybe somebody can enlighten me

This log is normal behavior, it just use to not be visible. The problem is when you have it happening repetively back and fourth like hop scotch or if it eventually does't settle down.

View attachment 17681 So early this week I reset all my access points to factory defaults and manually set them up again. I was getting it no disassociation and association notifications.

I was quite pleased about this

And just last night there was a firmware update it for WeMo products. After doing it for where update I ended up with, association and disassociation notifications in the system log.

I don’t quite understand why this would be occurring, maybe somebody can enlighten me
Could be worse your logs could look like this
Screenshot_20190516-154046216.jpg