What's new

Reliable and stable router under heavy traffic

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hyelton

I'm looking for the best option $60 or under including refurbished. At least 6 active devices. And at all times at least 20 connected devices. And has a goof QoS for uploading as I only have a 2mbps upload speed. Also it needs to be able to handle a almost constant 24mpbs downstream the E1200 v2 seems to act up after about 30min of a constant 24mbps stream of bw. I just want something stable and reliable I'm tired of buying routers I don't keep for very long due to some issue.

Current router is an Dir-655 Rev C its actually pretty awesome besides the part that QoS doesn't work very well.

Wireless is not really important. As most clients will be on an access point or wired

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm looking for the best option $60 or under including refurbished. At least 6 active devices. And at all times at least 20 connected devices. And has a goof QoS for uploading as I only have a 2mbps upload speed. Also it needs to be able to handle a almost constant 24mpbs downstream the E1200 v2 seems to act up after about 30min of a constant 24mbps stream of bw. I just want something stable and reliable I'm tired of buying routers I don't keep for very long due to some issue.

Current router is an Dir-655 Rev C its actually pretty awesome besides the part that QoS doesn't work very well.

Wireless is not really important. As most clients will be on an access point or wired

Since WiFi isn't a priority, I suggest to get a dedicated router such as Microtik RB750GL for full QoS control (limit bandwidth per Ethernet port, dhcp client, and even file extensions such as exe, pdf, etc!). It only costs $60 and it's always rock stable. http://routerboard.com/RB750GL

Since WiFi isn't a priority, I suggest to get a dedicated router such as Microtik RB750GL for full QoS control (limit bandwidth per Ethernet port, dhcp client, and even file extensions such as exe, pdf, etc!). It only costs $60 and it's always rock stable. http://routerboard.com/RB750GL
What sort of OS is installed on them? RouterOS? This is just for the home so doesn't need to he too complicated but extra features are nice :)

What sort of OS is installed on them? RouterOS? This is just for the home so doesn't need to he too complicated but extra features are nice :)

Most of consumer routers (even with 3rd party firmware such as DDWRT or Tomato) have crappy QoS. Since you mentioned about QoS, limiting upload speed, and WiFi not being a necessity, that's why I recommended a dedicated router such as Microtik routers with RouterOS (CLI expertise needed to configure the router). The closest consumer firm QoS to the enterprise level OS QoS feature is from TP-Link: http://www.tplink.com/en/article/?articleid=160

Some users report buggy implementation but YMMV. Hope this helps. BTW, if you're considering TP-Link router in case you want to test their upload/download limit per DHCP IP, choose the Archer C7 v2 since AC routers often comes with more powerful CPU and higher capacity RAM.

Most of consumer routers (even with 3rd party firmware such as DDWRT or Tomato) have crappy QoS. Since you mentioned about QoS, limiting upload speed, and WiFi not being a necessity, that's why I recommended a dedicated router such as Microtik routers with RouterOS (CLI expertise needed to configure the router). The closest consumer firm QoS to the enterprise level OS QoS feature is from TP-Link: http://www.tplink.com/en/article/?articleid=160

Some users report buggy implementation but YMMV. Hope this helps. BTW, if you're considering TP-Link router in case you want to test their upload/download limit per DHCP IP, choose the Archer C7 v2 since AC routers often comes with more powerful CPU and higher capacity RAM.
I don't really need QoS on different IPs I just need QoS to throttle the entire upload down a few kbps to keep my ping in tact while uploading. I've tried to do pfsense & monowall etc but QoS is way to complex for what I need and usually never works correctly for me. The E1200 I tested with stock, tomato, & ddwrt QoS works great! But the router just can't handle the constant load.

Perhaps you should consider spending more than $60 on this key piece of equipment that handles all your network traffic...

upstream QoS won't fix high peak demands for low latency (games, VoIP).

It always has for me on my cable connection, I have only a 2mbps upload. I usually set QoS around 1.8mbps on the QoS settings and I can upload to my hearts content and latentcy to say World of Warcraft never goes up past 80ms (Without doing anything WoW is around 69ms) And I can strain my upload and still have a 20ms ping to google or a 10-15ms ping without uploading. Only thing it affects is it usually cuts my download in half while uploading which is fine. For Where I live I can get pretty good latency. Latency To Atlanta, GA is only 8ms and that`s about 200 miles away.

How is the:

TP-Link WDR3600? Stock or DD-WRT.

My Budget can now be raised to $100 :)

Last edited:
I also think you should consider spending more than $60 on this key piece of equipment that handles all your network traffic. if you want a outstanding router, It is necessary to improve the budget. I have been using the Huawei B880 router for the past couple of years and it has worked great. The range is adequate, I get good signals from all rooms of my house. I have been using Huawei router.

I also think you should consider spending more than $60 on this key piece of equipment that handles all your network traffic. if you want a outstanding router, It is necessary to improve the budget. I have been using the Huawei B880 router for the past couple of years and it has worked great. The range is adequate, I get good signals from all rooms of my house. I have been using Huawei router.

My last posted I noted Raising my Budget to $100.

That is a 3G/LTE router. Thats not need.

Im really thinking about getting the TL-WDR3600

Any reason to choose the EA6300 over the TL-WDR3600 or vice versa?

Last edited:
The WDR3600 is a fine router, even with stock FW. I own a couple of TP-Link routers and never had issues with them

The WDR3600 is a fine router, even with stock FW. I own a couple of TP-Link routers and never had issues with them

As an access point/repeater? Or using it as the Wireless Part?

Theres a lot of people that say a Router is good but only use it as a repeater/access point which is sort of pointless to me.

I have a few older routers laying around WRT54G as an example, Routing is sucks really bad with my current connection, BUT use another router & turn it into an access point it works amazingly!

Using them as routers. Only one is set as AP and that is the WR1024ND

Sadly the WDR3600 is going back :( it works really great! But every 2 days it has to be rebooted it looses the modems IP. Not a problem with modem / ISP as I have 1 dynamic IP and 1 static IP both do the same thing. Doesn't happen on dd-wrt firmware but on dd-wrt pages load incomplete and its sort of problematic. So back to looking