What's new

Reliable Router for Rental Unit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NeilR

New Around Here
At home I have a WNDR3700, which has worked fine for the year or more that I've used it although it needs an occasional reboot if it's left up more than a month or two. Prior to that I used a Buffalo WBR-G54 for many years that was quite reliable.

I have a summer vacation weekly rental unit using another Buffalo WBR-G54. This is located many hours away from me- I can't go out there to fix something. Recently I've had a few problems with it, needing rebooting, which makes me want to (reluctantly) replace it. Whatever I do, I don't want phone calls about my guests having problems with internet access.

This is a high rise concrete/steel condo building, with a concrete steel reinforced wall between the router and a bedroom that I would like to provide access as best I can. The main access will be the same room as the router or the adjacent bedroom (20 feet max, one wall with standard drywall but with steel instead of wood 2x4's).

Internet access is Verizon DSL although some day I may end up with Comcast cable. The primary requirement here is reliable internet browsing from my guest's laptops and of course that includes any laptop maybe ever made :).

I currently use WEP because that is the lowest common denominator and anything, even my 10 year old laptops, support it. WPA2 would be better, and I would need to use that for n speed. I don't see any benefit to n, though, with the DSL bandwidth.

The only issue I've had with the Buffalo WBR-G54 (before the recent need to reboot) is that my Netflix Roku box does not do well, even though it is hard wired. I've thought about providing Netflix as a benefit to my renters but I suspect the DSL just isn't up to it- too many annoying restarts when watching a movie. I'd rather not provide it at all rather than provide a substandard experience. But, maybe my ancient WRT-G54 just isn't up to the task?

Cost: I don't like to put things like this out to the lowest bidder :). I'm not looking for a $20 solution. Nor do I want to spend over $100 for features that will not be used, like USB NAS support. In the $50 range, I would probably buy 2 units, test them both and leave one there (fully configured, burned in and tested) as a backup. Then over the phone I can tell someone to just swap units.

That's the background, here are my questions:

1. Opinions on the most reliable possible router, requiring the least amount of rebooting to restore connections or resolve very poor web browsing throughput. Reliability is top priority here, this being a distant rental unit.

2. Second is performance, just to get past that concrete/steel wall to the back bedroom. This is secondary. Reliable access from the living room is better than none at all or a temperamental router.

3. I considered the LinkSys WRT-54GL, mainly based on the fact that over at NewEgg it has the most reviews and the least complaints (see #1). Probably the most tried and proven router on the market. What say ye?

4. Regarding the WRT-54GL, I see a lot of reviews suggesting open source is more reliable than the stock formware. Any opinions on that? Given the basic requirements - simple internet access - the only attractive feature of open source for me would be better reliability if that were the case. I don't need fancy routing features.

For whatever reason, I've been very lucky with this sort of stuff when it comes to uptime and I've had a couple of boxes which have run for over a year without a reboot, power cycle or any fooling around.

One example was a WRT54G-TM that was running with Tomato 1.23 firmware. The wireless portion on this particular box had been damaged somehow in it's previous life so I just had it disabled. That router was excellent and it ran for about 500 days without a reboot only to be replaced with a WRT320N that had wireless working.

WRT320N also has worked very well for me and again I've had one of those run for over a year without a reboot running with DD-WRT firmware.

I believe that most of the reliability problems that people have with these cheap home routers is caused by the firmware, not the hardware.

I believe that most of the reliability problems that people have with these cheap home routers is caused by the firmware, not the hardware.

I would believe that :eek:

The problem I have here is that I have never had the need for open source firmware so although I 'm confident I can research it and get through it, I will have very little access to this router. I can buy it, flash it at home, and use it as an AP for a while, and even swap out my WNDR3700 for a few days but beyond that I won't have access to it for "tinkering" since it will be located at a distant rental unit. Nor will I have time to make a hobby out open source firmware before I have to deploy it. When I read the open source forums, it looks like too much of a hobby for this application :).

I don't mean "hobby" in a nasty way. If I had a reason I would do that with my home router and have some fun with it. It's just a hobby I never took up.

What do you think about my thinking on this? Overly worried or intelligently cautious? :D

I understand your cautious outlook when it comes to 3rd party firmware. I've used it so that I can convert regular routers to do other things such as being a repeater, client, client bridge etc as well as running it on my home router to keep track of my bandwidth usage.

The part of using a firmware such as DD-WRT that seems to be the most difficult is figuring out what build to use on your particular box. Some builds are good, some are not and some seem to have problems on a box whereas some do not.

For what it's worth I tend to always use the builds that are recommended not in the DD-WRT wiki but instead the ones that are recommended in the Broadcom Forum. And when installing I follow the instructions for my particular model EXACTLY. This has worked very well for me.

Another thing, I've been running my equipment off of a UPS for the last everal years and I think that this greatly improves the reliability.

You could just pick up one of the newer Buffalos. They now use DD-WRT as the standard firmware.

To be proactive about rebooting, just put the router on a lamp timer and have it power cycle every day during the middle of the night.