What's new

Replace rt-n16 for AP duties only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

talz13

New Around Here
I currently have an asus rt-n16, and since about 2 years ago, have only been using it as an AP. I moved the actual routing duties to an old PC running pfSense, so all I really care about is stability and throughput. Having a guest network might be nice, but we rarely have guests, so it's not a big deal :(

Day to day, we have 3 Rokus that stream from Plex locally, as well as Netflix and Sling TV. Usually only one is active at any given time, but with the little kid growing up, I'm sure we'll be using 2 at a time at some point. Other than that, we have two android tablets and two android phones, and two laptops. So all in, approx. 9 devices at any given time.

The laptops, 1 phone and 1 tablet have AC, the other phone, tablet, and rokus have N.

What's the best bet for under $200 USD today? And what might be coming soon that I might want to wait for?

What's the best bet for under $200 USD today? And what might be coming soon that I might want to wait for?
I would bet my wireless live on a Asus RT-AC68U (or and R/P version) with Merlin's firmware fork - if you want to go cheap (and wireless speed of max 300 MBit is fine) you can go for the Asus RT-N66U with John's firmware fork (for better range) - or both as I do! :rolleyes:

For everything in one box, go AC1900 Broadcom-based all-in-one set as an AP, on Merlin/xVortex, or AdvancedTomato. AC68U or R7000.

For purpose-built APs, EnGenius ECB-350 for N. AC is a junk show unless you're willing to spend on managed APs like UniFi or higher level enterprise stuff, so I'd probably stick with an all-in-one.

I know many here suggest using an AC wifi router and i would too but if you just want to reuse what you have rather than buy new than using a consumer router as an AP is fine. A new router would give better performance and range but it really depends if you are just putting unused hardware to work or upgrading your network.

If you want to use it as an AP the stock firmware is fine, just use the LAN port and disable DHCP. If it has STP than use it. IF you want it to be more than an AP than you can use 3rd party firmware.

If you want inexpensive APs theres also ubiquiti's UAP-AC or indoor ubiquiti APs that have wifi AC. I would suggest 2 or 3 stream AC wifi as 2 stream is the norm and MU-MIMO is still rare and buggy. Regardless of what fancy marketing the routers have a pfsense on x86 is still leagues faster than these fancy expensive AC5300 routers when it comes to processing even if it is the lowest end x86 machine.

If you want the latest in wifi i suggest going for the 4x4 MU-MIMO. Its only if your entire network runs on wifi and you have many wifi clients that an AC5300 may seem reasonable. MU-MIMO does have some gains over standard 3 channel AC wifi but only if you have multiple clients that support MU-MIMO.

I like the Cisco small business wireless access points. They support VLANs if decide to add a guest network later. They also support one point setup so if you decide to add another unit or 2 you only need to log on and enter your wireless name and password and all the info is passed from the working unit to the new unit, no setup is required for the new unit and now they network wirelessly together.
You can find older ones on eBay used for cheap money or you can buy new ones. I use 3 Cisco WAP321 units set on 5GHz 40MHz wide working as one unit so you can roam.

I like the Cisco small business wireless access points. They support VLANs if decide to add a guest network later. They also support one point setup so if you decide to add another unit or 2 you only need to log on and enter your wireless name and password and all the info is passed from the working unit to the new unit, no setup is required for the new unit and now they network wirelessly together.
You can find older ones on eBay used for cheap money or you can buy new ones. I use 3 Cisco WAP321 units set on 5GHz 40MHz wide working as one unit so you can roam.
coxhaus,

I know you have 3 WAP321 with excellent coverage and roaming. How do you consider the general range for a single unit? I´m considering a WAP371 for my new 90 m2 apartment and would think that a single AP is sufficient for such small area. The AP will be centrally placed in the main living room.

Ole

coxhaus,

I know you have 3 WAP321 with excellent coverage and roaming. How do you consider the general range for a single unit? I´m considering a WAP371 for my new 90 m2 apartment and would think that a single AP is sufficient for such small area. The AP will be centrally placed in the main living room.

Ole

You know I have never tried just one as I started with 2 units. Looking at one by the TV area it covers 22 to 35 feet depending on walls. This is from the unit so double the distance for total distance. At 5 GHz I can only go through one wall with good coverage and no tile. Tile seems to cause problems with 5 GHz so none of my 3 bathrooms work very well and they block the signal to the other side.

Does the WAP371 have dual radios and AC support?

Last edited:
Does the WAP371 have dual radios and AC support?
Yes, the WAP371 is dual band AC/N. I believe a Cisco 300 Series AP will compliment my Cisco SG300-10 switch and Linksys LRT224 router setup nicely. If the range turns out to be inefficient I can always add another WAP unit. Btw, all rooms in the apartment are Cat6 wired, so expanding the network is simple. :)

Ole

Sounds like a good start. Let me know how it works. At some point I will upgrade.

I have heard AC mode will help stretch the distance. What I don't know does AC mode help if you are running 40mhz wide can you still stretch the distance over N mode? Are do you need to be running 20mhz wide to stretch the distance?

Sounds like a good start. Let me know how it works. At some point I will upgrade.

I have heard AC mode will help stretch the distance. What I don't know does AC mode help if you are running 40mhz wide can you still stretch the distance over N mode? Are do you need to be running 20mhz wide to stretch the distance?
I just ordered the WAP371. I´ll check out different channel configurations both on the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands to see which are most efficient in my neighborhood area. As you already know, I´m not moving in until April/May 2016, but I´ll certainly let you know then how my home network performs. You already have a well performing home network setup, so why upgrade? :)

And I just want to add a big thank you for all your good advice and knowledgeable posts in this forum. Your experience and wisdom made me change the design of my new home network towards a layer 3 core switch and business grade hardware throughout the setup. You´ve been a really great resource for me in the process of building my home network.

Ole

Last edited: