What's new

Replacement for RT-AC3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Murtaza12

Regular Contributor
My AC3200 is being shifted to my basement to be used as an AP, so the house is sort of router-less right now.
Need a good, future-proof replacement, but don't want to be spending a ton either.
I got my AC3200 for $220 in early 2017, so I wouldn't want to go above $280, max 300 for a new router.

I like ASUS for their regular firmware updates and just the way their routers look, so my first choice is the RT-AC88U. A retailer in Pakistan has the AC88U for $250 right now. Any one have any opinions on this router, a short review perhaps, any complaints?

Next up is the Linksys WRT32X, seems like a good router, has questionable reviews on Amazon, average is 3 stars. It's the cheapest however, at only $199 on Amazon. Anyone here have one? And does Linksys have it's own built-in Access Point mode like ASUS does?

I was considering the Netgear R8000P but at $300, it doesn't seem worth it.

Any other suggestions, I'd be happy to hear.

An Asus RT-AC86U? I like their real time traffic monitor. It can be useful for problem solving (but you probably already knew that). About $200 USD through Amazon.
I like the 86U, but the 3-stream 2.4 GHz is what's holding me back. Otherwise I'd get that since it's $190 here.

The 88U is 4x4 on both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

If you want future-proof the ONLY solution is to separate wireless from server/router/firewall duties and pick up an x86-based system. I've wasted--er, "invested"-- too much time researching an overclocking ARM based systems which are nowhere near as fast as a last-gen, refurbished i3/i5 with AES-NI and VTx extensions. <$200.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/maximum-openvpn-throughout.44841/#post-384161
Thanks for the suggestion man, but that setup seems a bit extreme for the sort of work that happens here at home.

I doubt you will notice much of a difference between 3x3 and 4x4 on 2.4 Ghz. I know of no 4x4 clients other than 1 or two large desktop usb add on units. And for speed dependent devices 5Ghz is faster anyway. Your typical client will be a 2x2 unit, only a few like MacBook Pros even come with 3x3 antennas now. True that extra antenna will still help a little with signal/performance but I think you are over thinking this. The 86U is better than the 88U both CPU and WiFi chipset wise.

FYI even the WRT3200ACM/WRT32X are actually 3x3 units, and its for both 2.4/5 Ghz on these.

The R7800 is also a good unit, bestt 5Ghz performing consumer unit I have seen.

Last edited:
I doubt you will notice much of a difference between 3x3 and 4x4 on 2.4 Ghz. I know of no 4x4 clients other than 1 or two large desktop usb add on units. And for speed dependent devices 5Ghz is faster anyway. Your typical client will be a 2x2 unit, only a few like MacBook Pros even come with 3x3 antennas now. True that extra antenna will still help a little with signal/performance but I think you are over thinking this. The 86U is better than the 88U both CPU and WiFi chipset wise.

FYI even the WRT3200ACM/WRT32X are actually 3x3 units, and its for both 2.4/5 Ghz on these.

The R7800 is also a good unit, bestt 5Ghz performing consumer unit I have seen.

Righto. But in terms of being future proof and coverage as well, would the 86 and 88U be on par?

I wouldn't want something that has worse coverage than my 3200 because then there would be no point in getting a new router in the first place.

How much of an advantage will I gain from having the slightly better CPU on the 86U?

A good CPU would help for CPU heavy tasks like VPN and higher throughput when hardware acceleration is off. Coverage wise you will see an improvement due to improved WiFi chipset but nothing drastic. The 86U in VPN performance is significantly more powerful than the 88U in the order of more than 3x as it has built in hardware crypto engine.

Coverage wise you will see an improvement due to improved WiFi chipset but nothing drastic.

See a coverage improvement over the AC3200? Or the 88U?

I don't use a VPN yet, so that isn't a requirement for me.

I just need the router to have good coverage (2.4GHz) and be able to handle 20+ Wireless clients without crapping out on me like my ISP provided router does.

I've been reading up about the Netgear R7800, and seeing the price it's available for on Amazon seems very reasonable. Too bad only one retailer in Pakistan has it, for $450. I could get 2 AC86Us for that much. :(

The 86U WiFi wise is pretty close to the R7800 you should definitely get that if it’s cheaper. Either one is good honestly.

Yeah routers can be pretty expensive in South Asia, I had to get my router from the US when I was in India because the cost there was like twice as much, at the time I bought the WNDR3800.

The 86U WiFi wise is pretty close to the R7800 you should definitely get that if it’s cheaper. Either one is good honestly.

Yeah routers can be pretty expensive in South Asia, I had to get my router from the US when I was in India because the cost there was like twice as much, at the time I bought the WNDR3800.
I could get an R7800 from Amazon using a freight forwarding service. Tomorrow is Monday so I'll find out how much it costs. If the total comes to below $300, I'll get it.

Otherwise, the 86U is readily available, at a great price so I'll just grab that.

You'll be happy to know I decided against the 88U and after reading a couple of your posts, the SNB review and some Amazon reviews of the R7800 which I have ordered. It was quite expensive, but I'm expecting good results from it.

I hope it works well for your setup.

I hope it works well for your setup.
Received my R7800 on Sunday evening. Fantastic piece of equipment.

It would be an insult to compare it to an ASUS AC3200. The range is excellent on both 2.4 and 5 GHz, and the the stability is great.
Thanks a ton for suggesting it.