What's new

Replacing an Actiontec MI424WR Rev E

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SpeedThree

Regular Contributor
We live in a 3-story townhouse and have Verizon FiOS for internet and telephone only, not for TV.

We currently have an MI424WR Rev E and it is connected by Coax cable, not ethernet.

On our LAN there are:
(Top floor) an iMac (2009) with an Airport Extreme card (802.11a/b/g/n), and a MacBook Pro with an 802.11n card.
(Middle floor) a MacBook Air, also with an 802.11n card.
(Bottom floor) a 2nd Generation Apple TV, also with 802.11n capability.

I suspect it's probably time to replace the Actiontec router as it's old and supports only 802.11g, but I find trying to pick out a router daunting to say the least.

For instance, someone told me that if the internet connection to my Actiontec is over Coax, this would need to be changed and an ethernet cable might have to be run from the ONT to the router, which is a real pain in the butt as the router is on the top floor and the ONT is three floors away.

Do any of you networking gurus have any advice to offer or suggestions for routers that would fit my circumstances. I'm flush and working at the moment so I don't have to aim for a cheap router.

Many thanks,
CH

I have FIOS and what you need to do is get them to upgrade your router to Ver I which will give you a 2.4Ghz N Band router. It has built in MOCA capabilities

Then see if you can get them to give you one or two of the MOCA adapters. You can then connect an adapter on each floor and hang a N class router on each adapter and repurpose them as an AP. If you can't get them for free you can purchase them on e-Bay or Amazon for $60 - $70 each. Just be sure to get the ones designed to work with Verizon.

As an alternative you can look at a new piece of hardware that Verizon has recently released which is a Wifi extender. It works on both the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands and is connect to your primary router using MOCA.

Thanks very much for all that info. I will call Verizon and see what I can get them to do.

Much appreciated.
CH