What's new

Replacing Asus RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

enr00ted

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone,

I have some questions for you. I'm a long time Asus user of network equipment. My first expensive router was a Linksys when tomato/ddwrt firmwares were "The Thing" the time I was living ina house with no interfering neighbour wifi's. Then I had the bad luck that a thunder storm fried most of my equipment, router, modem, xbox etc. So I had to replace, and based on the reviews this RT-N66U was presented like the "Next Thing". It allowed installing this firmwares, it even had a modified stock (aka Merlin) so pretty cool. It was even cooler to thinker with optware/entware, but all in all it's been a dissapointing experience. They screwed the drivers big time, and I have the feeling that they lowered it's initial capabilities.

Then I moved to an apartment. Initially there were no neighbours as It is a new building but now things are different. The 2.4Ghz band is uselss no matter what I do (ppl don't give a "sheet" on their configurations, and use cheap ISP equipment). I've spend loads of money buying the RP-N53 repeaters and adding more and more equipment. Useless. I am now trying to move to the 5Ghz spectrum. I can't afford buying only high-end computers, smartphones etc to have only 5Ghz enabled devices, so I still have to use the 2.4Ghz band. I recently upgraded my laptops wifi card to ac enabled adapters.

There is another issue here in Spain, where I live now. It is very diffucult to get Asus network equipment. They only sell online, and mostly super high-end routers. No switches, no aftermarket antennas, barelly some adapters, nothing. I don't like ebay, and I can't afford bying overseas. Amazon Spain is pretty useless too, it does not compare with it's Us/Eu counterparts. The market is flooded with Linksys or Tp-Link equipment. The same goes for wifi adaptors for laptops and generally good equipment.

So unless I move to another country, very unlikely, I won't care that much and I won't spend that much money again. I have the worst connection so I can't use any Ai stuff, vpn, or cloud features that Asus provides. Now after this biography comes the question:

What budget replacement are for the Asus RT-N66U with AC tech? Will I lose functionality ? I see TP-Link gear is very simple, trying their emulators, you basically have no advance settings for anything, seems like everything is capped. I am interested in gigabit lan and as much coverage as possible as I have a "Sausage" type of apartment and I can't place my router in the middle.

Thank you for your patience in reading this :eek:

I must have missed why you don't use the 5GHz band of the RT-N66U you have?

The cheapest upgrade to AC will be to go with the RT-AC56U. On sale, it goes to $100 or lower.

I must have missed why you don't use the 5GHz band of the RT-N66U you have?

The cheapest upgrade to AC will be to go with the RT-AC56U. On sale, it goes to $100 or lower.

I am but I want the higher speeds that AC might provide. Besides, my Intel 3160 can only achieve 150 MB link speed on N and 433 on AC. I am not sure if my laptop is able to use a 2x2 wifi card like the 7260 (it initially shipped with a single band broadcom card with bluetooth).

I am thinking of giving up Asus as it is not a budget brand. So the question was more like what are the tradeoffs in relation to other manufacturers like TP-Link and co. as I don't need any of the fancy cloud and features that asus provides and I have never used. I want a router to do it's job and provide good tranfer speeds.

To put an example why would I buy the RT-AC56U instead a TP-Link from the archer (ac750 c2) series or something else I don't know. I mean what am I really going to lose ? (Apart from merlin support :p)

Last edited: