What's new

Replacing my AC68U media bridge; Athena-EX or EX8000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ashG

Occasional Visitor
My old Asus AC68U is finally ready to go to the great parts bin in the sky. It just couldn't handle life as a media hub for my office and the issues just kept mounting up regardless of firmware.

My house network is powered by an Edgerouter X and a AP-AC-PRO. Super stable and fast! I need a new media bridge to service my office. The two I've identified as potential replacements are the Amped Wireless Athena-EX and the Netgear EX8000. Both have solid reviews across a variety of sites. Netgear is a known entity to me; I've never owned anything from Amped Wireless.

What saith the peanut gallery? Which would you recommend?

Why a wireless bridge? Rental house: can't run patch, can't move modem, bad wiring makes powerline networking poor. I have solid wifi coverage in my office from the AP-AC-Pro; I also have two computers, my repair desk. and a NAS that need wired connections.

Ah, so lack of Ethernet probably means a ubiquiti product isn't going to work for you. Is there coaxial in both locations? Theres a chance that MoCA might be an option.

Anyway, I wasn't familiar with the Amped wireless product. It seems fine? It uses the same mediatek chipset as the Dlink DIR 878 and 882 that have been reviewed here on SNB, although they don't support bridge mode in their firmware.

However, if you wanted to save a buck you could get a 4x4 or even 3x3 router that you can set to bridge mode. Even another AC68U.