What's new

Replacing older Optimum Router - weak signal - 2 story home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mike519

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I am planning to buy new router as my optimum router (DIR-868L) does not handle 2 story home (3000 sq ft) well and I get weak signal on the first floor to my tv that streams channels.

Things connected to router are:
-4 cellphones and 1 ipad
-3 tvs ( 2 tvs upstairs next to Routers no issues here but downstairs is problem)
- two laptops
- planning to install security systems

I need something solid that solve all this problems and reliable.

thank you!

Hi, while my living quarters is not 2 stories and not quite as large, but close, with as many as 8 connections I'm experiencing pretty good performance with an ASUS RT5300. I'm using the Merlin 384 (not beta) , Smart Connect and the QOS service which I alter to match the load to what I'm doing at the time. Example, lots of streaming I'll move "Media streaming" to the top. As a necessary assist I installed a dual band Extender at roughly (experiment) the mid point of the load. Great pricing at AMAZON and NEWEGG.

Hi everyone,

I am planning to buy new router as my optimum router (DIR-868L) does not handle 2 story home (3000 sq ft) well and I get weak signal on the first floor to my tv that streams channels.

Things connected to router are:
-4 cellphones and 1 ipad
-3 tvs ( 2 tvs upstairs next to Routers no issues here but downstairs is problem)
- two laptops
- planning to install security systems

I need something solid that solve all this problems and reliable.

thank you!

RT-AC5300 is an older model router from 2015.

From ASUS router models RT-AX88U (quad-core CPU, AES-NI, 1024MB RAM) is the best router with Asuswrt-Merlin support, followed by RT-AC86U (dual-core CPU, AES-NI, 512MB RAM). Both are newer and much faster hardware devices with newer and better radio modules compared to previous generations routers. For a 3000 sq.ft. house you may need an additional access point though, depending on where the router is physically located, what materials the house is made of, where the most critical clients are located, etc. If your old router almost did the job, the newer ones will do the same better.

RT-AC5300 is an older model router from 2015.

From ASUS router models RT-AX88U (quad-core CPU, AES-NI, 1024MB RAM) is the best router with Asuswrt-Merlin support, followed by RT-AC86U (dual-core CPU, AES-NI, 512MB RAM). Both are newer and much faster hardware devices with newer and better radio modules compared to previous generations routers. For a 3000 sq.ft. house you may need an additional access point though, depending on where the router is physically located, what materials the house is made of, where the most critical clients are located, etc. If your old router almost did the job, the newer ones will do the same better.
Thanks! My house walls are just wood /sheetrocks. Router is located in the center room 2nd story.

And, what do you think of new Google Nest wifi router?

And, what do you think of new Google Nest wifi router?

If you need better WiFi coverage, get a proper router with external antennae, not a Google Home speaker with built-in WiFi router.

Which AP do I need to buy if you can suggest.

Test what a single newer model router can do in your environment, then think about additional APs. They may not be needed at all.