What's new

Replacing WNDR3700 with VLAN and better AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Feldon

New Around Here
My church currently has two WNDR3700's set-up: one as a router and one as an AP. I have two SSID's: a guest network and a regular network (possibly may need a third in the future).

Two issues have arisen:
1) Discovered the client isolation feature doesn't work for the AP. Evidently I need to set-up a VLAN instead.
2) There's a computer club that meets once a month with 15-30 people. The club is teaching people stuff like "how to use YouTube", so there's a fair amount of internet use. Obviously, havnig 15-30 people trying to hit the single AP at the same time causes a slow down. I figure I need to either replace the AP or add a second AP to the area.

Question: What's the simplest way to fix both issues? What products might you recommend? Price range is probably < $600.

I assume that since the WNDR3700 does not support VLAN, that I will need to completely replace these routers with different products?

Options I'm wondering about:
A) What's the best replacement for the primary router? I'm thinking I should simply buy a wireless router with VLAN support? Something like a Cisco RV220W? (I don't need a VPN or cloud-services so maybe there's something even simpler/cheaper that would work fine?)
B) What's the best replacement for the AP? Maybe a single Unifi AP-Pro? Or two Unifi AP?

Thanks for any help!

For anyone that happens to read this post later, here's what I've done...

I've decided to make do without the sandboxing for now. As a result, I've simply bought a Unifi AP-Pro to server as an additional access point. It's dual-band, gigabit LAN and has VLAN capability. When we eventually replace the WNDR3700's, I'll get a more professional-grade router and we'll be all set.

FYI: I did have a look at DD-WRT, but the WNDR3700 doesn't support VLAN.

Sorry this is coming to you too late, but OpenWRT on the WNDR3700s does support VLAN.

It's free, and it's damn stable. Might take a look. The WNDR3700s have a lot of power under the hood to just scrap them.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!