What's new

ripd.log filling /tmp

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

acorderob

New Around Here
Hi.

I have had a problem that happened two times recently (with some time between the two). My DHCP server could not give IPs.

The first time i just rebooted the router (at least two times) and it fixed it, but the second one i started checking, and I think it is due to my /tmp particion getting full, but can't be sure.

After some time has passed from the last reboot i have checked /tmp for large files and i see the ripd.log file is growing steadily due probably to some debug options being set in the firmware.

I'm pretty sure this is the culprit, so, can these debug options be unset permanently?

Thanks.

Hi.

I have had a problem that happened two times recently (with some time between the two). My DHCP server could not give IPs.

The first time i just rebooted the router (at least two times) and it fixed it, but the second one i started checking, and I think it is due to my /tmp particion getting full, but can't be sure.

After some time has passed from the last reboot i have checked /tmp for large files and i see the ripd.log file is growing steadily due probably to some debug options being set in the firmware.

I'm pretty sure this is the culprit, so, can these debug options be unset permanently?

Thanks.
Logging options are set on the Administration, System tab.
upload_2017-5-20_21-26-1.png

I though that only applies to syslog, and i'm taking about ripd.log. However, I reduced it to see if it affects ripd, but it doesn't seem to. The /tmp/etc/ripd.log file is still growing by about 13 lines each 30 seconds.

I though that only applies to syslog, and i'm taking about ripd.log. However, I reduced it to see if it affects ripd, but it doesn't seem to. The /tmp/etc/ripd.log file is still growing by about 13 lines each 30 seconds.
I don't have that log file in /tmp/etc.

Did you install quagga or using @hggomes firmware?

I have only installed Merlin (380.64_2), which seems to include quagga. I also use a different asus router with Merlin that does not have this problem (no ripd.log file) so i think it must be activated maybe because it's setup as wireless router or because i'm using an IPTV/VoIP profile?

The ripd.conf file includes these debug commands which i believe are the culprit for the log growth:

debug rip events
debug rip packet

But the file is restored on reboot, so i can't just remove them.

Last edited:
Where is the ripd.conf file stored? It might be because of IPTV/VoIP as I'm not using it, but neither my router or AP have the log file. You could upgrade to 380.66_2 to see if that resolves it. Might be worth doing a factory default reset and manual setup (or restore using John's Nvram tool).

I'll remove the debug options, since they shouldn't be necessary in a production environment.

The file is dynamically created by the firmware (like every other config files). They aren't supported by custom scripting yet (as it's a fairly recent addition by Asus), but I will eventually add support for them as well.