What's new

Router and Modem help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Blazerfan

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking to ditch my monthly comcast gateway rental fee and buy my own modem and router. Where the gateway is right now, (in the living room at one end of the house) we don't get a good signal on the other side of the house where the upstairs bedrooms are and where there's a basement below. It's a tri-level home. I need some tips on where to have things setup or if I should keep the location the same and try using repeaters/extenders. I haven't purchased a modem or router yet. (suggestions welcome)

We do have a family room that's more centrally located, but there isn't a cable jack or tv in there. Should I setup the router in there by itself? It would be about 45ft from the modem in the other room.
Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for my lack of knowledge!

Can you get just a modem from your ISP? That is what I would suggest.

The router will depend on your devices and network usage, but an RT-AC68U or higher is an easy choice along with RMerlin firmware.

Always put the router in the most central location (in 3D) in the areas to be covered first, then, worry about needing extenders afterwards.

If you're able to get a modem (or at least put the gateway into bridge mode and turn off the radios) and an Ethernet cable from the modem to your centrally located router, AC class router, you will have solved most of your issues right there.

Can you get just a modem from your ISP? That is what I would suggest.

The router will depend on your devices and network usage, but an RT-AC68U or higher is an easy choice along with RMerlin firmware.

Always put the router in the most central location (in 3D) in the areas to be covered first, then, worry about needing extenders afterwards.

If you're able to get a modem (or at least put the gateway into bridge mode and turn off the radios) and an Ethernet cable from the modem to your centrally located router, AC class router, you will have solved most of your issues right there.

Thanks for the info!
I'll have to ask if they just supply a modem or if they only rent out the gateway! Like I said, If I put the router in the central room, it would be approximately 45ft from the modem that's in the other room. Would that be to long of a run? I would hate to run a ethernet cable through the crawlspace or attic just to find out the signal still doesn't reach the other areas. Not that I'm lazy, just asking :)

Thanks for the info!
I'll have to ask if they just supply a modem or if they only rent out the gateway! Like I said, If I put the router in the central room, it would be approximately 45ft from the modem that's in the other room. Would that be to long of a run? I would hate to run a ethernet cable through the crawlspace or attic just to find out the signal still doesn't reach the other areas. Not that I'm lazy, just asking :)

You're welcome.

45 feet is considered a short run for a quality CAT5e or higher cable (100M or 300FT is maximum).

If you're not familiar with proper cable installation, have a professional (or a savvy friend) help you run it.

Motorolla SB6141 is pretty common, that's what I used when I had Comcast. The 6183 is probably a better choice if you have a 300+ Mbps connection.

Motorolla SB6141 is pretty common, that's what I used when I had Comcast. The 6183 is probably a better choice if you have a 300+ Mbps connection.

SB6141 is what I have, and have been very happy with it - it's been flagged as End of Life by many of the CableCos, but they will continue to support and provision them.

The 6183 is shaping up to be a very good modem as well...

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!