What's new

Router and Modem Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WilliamP

New Around Here
I shut my computer down at night. I know this is a highly debated practice,but that is what I do. My question is with those of us that do this, what about the router and modem. Do you shut them off also?

I have my Router on a timer, on most of the day and off during late night. I usually turn everything off when I leave my home.

I leave modem/router on all the time.
PCs: windows 7, sleep when not in use. Push the sleepy-moon icon on the keyboard.
Windows XP, I couldn't get sleep to be reliable.

We turn off all our desktop computers overnight, two are Windows 7, the other Windows XP. Modem and router are always on, they're on a UPS, since they're serving more than just the desktops.

Can't let my desktop sleep, I'm often on a work VPN and it would disconnect if it slept, and reconnecting is a pain. The other Windows 7 desktop sleeps when it's tired, the Windows XP desktop isn't quite sure how to sleep (or how to wake after sleeping *smile*).

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!