What's new

Router Buying Advice 75Mbps connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sparksx

New Around Here
Hello. I'm moving in to a newly built house; 2200 sq. ft (2 story house and basement). The ISP in my area is Comcast and I'm thinking of picking up my own router and modem instead of paying the rental fee. I'm thinking of getting the Arris Surfboard SB6141 for the modem.

Since my speeds aren't that fast (75Mbps down), I'm guessing that I dont really need a super fast router and I don't plan to pay too much for one either; preferably under $80. I was looking at the TP-Link TL-WDR-3600 or TP-Link Archer C50. These just looked cheap so any brand is fine as long as they are fast and reliable for what I need. What are my options under $80?

Hello. I'm moving in to a newly built house; 2200 sq. ft (2 story house and basement). The ISP in my area is Comcast and I'm thinking of picking up my own router and modem instead of paying the rental fee. I'm thinking of getting the Arris Surfboard SB6141 for the modem.

Since my speeds aren't that fast (75Mbps down), I'm guessing that I dont really need a super fast router and I don't plan to pay too much for one either; preferably under $80. I was looking at the TP-Link TL-WDR-3600 or TP-Link Archer C50. These just looked cheap so any brand is fine as long as they are fast and reliable for what I need. What are my options under $80?

Research can be fun!

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/router-chooser/chooser

Well, the SB6141 is a fine modem - it really is at this speed rate...

Any AC1900 class router/AP - R7000/RT-AC68U/WRT1900ac/Airport Extreme AC - they're going to be good to go there... some are more open than others perhaps...

Many things to consider

How many users? Will you be strictly consuming Internet data or is some local?

Will you be a work at home via vpn person while others in the home Watch Netflix or maybe even multiple vpn connectionsession?

My 75Mbps connection don't fell 3x faster than the 20Mbps I had prior.

Just avoid some of the really bad ones and you'll be fine.
Security wise d-link, linksys and tp-link all do poorly but if you do take the effort you could use 3rd party firmware like openwrt on them to make them better. With your speeds hardware acceleration isnt necessary. If you get MIPS just make sure it is a fast MIPS.

A lot of the lower quality brands (d-link, tplink) have many revisions of the same product so look it up before buying as there are various differences and reliability issues in some that even affect 3rd party firmware.

Security wise d-link, linksys and tp-link all do poorly but if you do take the effort you could use 3rd party firmware like openwrt on them to make them better.

Might agree on D-Link, but Linksys seems to have gotten a handle on their current lineup (older Legacy devices did have some issues). TP-Link, to their credit, does react to things, and try to get ahead of issues when they develop...