What's new

Router buying decison help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David L

New Around Here
Hi All
I'm getting ready to replace my router at home. I currently have a Cisco M10 Valet. The M10 is working ok now. I have a 30mbs connection from Charter Cable I checked my wireless speed on Charter's wed site. It was about 25mbps down and 3.20mbps up.

I have two laptops one a Apple Mac Book Pro it has a n adapter. The other is a older Sony Vio I would not think it would have a N adapter. I have a desktop that is wired into the router I would guess it is a 10/100 adapter. We have two iphone's that use the network. A Panasonic smart TV with netflex and you tube. We have a xbox 360 but don't play online. Kids and guest coming over would like to set up a guest network for them. I also have a wireless printer on the network. I might want to add a HD that could be used for file storage or backup's.

I would like to have better speeds than I'm now getting. Like to have a fast connection for my Apple. I lose the connection somtimes on the TV when watching netflex. I live in a tri level house and the router is down stairs. Currently I can set on my deck outside and get a connection. I'm quite interested in routers and would like one that I can tinker with and learn about. Would like one that will stay current for a few years.

What would be a good choice for me?

Thanks

Hey David - It's a common question.

I would start with taking a good hard look at the reviews on SNB's site, and then just searching around you can find what routers have some 3rd party support.

This site has a strong Asus community, but depending on budget and if reliability and consistency might make a "stock" router more appealing in a house with other stuff going on all the time, maybe you just want the best out of the box router.

Take a good look at the reviews on this site, and buy from somewhere like Amazon where returns are easy, that's what I do! ;)

I went ahead and ordered the ASUS RT-N56U. Seems it had all the features that I needed. Have one laptop with a g adapter card. Will likely replace it. So hope I made a good decision.

Thanks