What's new

Router Device Lists - LAN to LAN 3 Router setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TravisLP

New Around Here
So here's my setup, then I'll ask the question

Century Link 40mbs fiber

(Main) Century Link Technicolor C2000T Modem/Router - 192.168.0.1 - WPA2 AES - CH1 - SSID 1 in Basement
Linksys E2000 Router - 192.168.0.2 - LAN to LAN Ethernet - WPA2 AES - CH6 - SSID2 - Main Floor
Linksys EA4500 Router - 192.168.0.3 - HPNA to Converted to LAN - WPA2 AES - CH11 - SSID3 - Upstairs

DHCP and Firewall/NAT turned off on slave routers. DHCP on main range set to not assign .0.2 or 0.3

As you can see I have 3 routers all creating 1 network, everything works perfectly except one little thing that bothers me.

I want to use the Linksys EA4500 admin page to monitor devices connecting to my network, in this setup it "sees" almost everything on the network except devices connected wirelessly to the main router. It can "see" devices that are wireless on the 2nd router, and itself, and even LAN devices on both, but not wireless from the main. The main routers device list shows everything regardless, however it's clunky and doesn't save the name/icon changes I make to devices, half of devices come up Unknown.

So my question is why can my slave router see everything but wireless devices on the main router?

Only thing I can think of is there other two are Linksys, but that doesn't really sound right to me. The other thing is the main router has a much more advanced wireless setup, (4 SSIDs with different settings) I only use the first one though...

So I know a couple ways of fixing this, but it requires spending more money and I really don't want to. Appreciate any help, thanks

More than likely the Linksys software is built for a one network environment. When you run multiple networks it is a little more complicated. I run 3 networks but I use a layer 3 switch to handle all the routing for my internal networks.

So here's my setup, then I'll ask the question

Century Link 40mbs fiber

(Main) Century Link Technicolor C2000T Modem/Router - 192.168.0.1 - WPA2 AES - CH1 - SSID 1 in Basement
Linksys E2000 Router - 192.168.0.2 - LAN to LAN Ethernet - WPA2 AES - CH6 - SSID2 - Main Floor
Linksys EA4500 Router - 192.168.0.3 - HPNA to Converted to LAN - WPA2 AES - CH11 - SSID3 - Upstairs

DHCP and Firewall/NAT turned off on slave routers. DHCP on main range set to not assign .0.2 or 0.3

As you can see I have 3 routers all creating 1 network, everything works perfectly except one little thing that bothers me.

I want to use the Linksys EA4500 admin page to monitor devices connecting to my network, in this setup it "sees" almost everything on the network except devices connected wirelessly to the main router. It can "see" devices that are wireless on the 2nd router, and itself, and even LAN devices on both, but not wireless from the main. The main routers device list shows everything regardless, however it's clunky and doesn't save the name/icon changes I make to devices, half of devices come up Unknown.

So my question is why can my slave router see everything but wireless devices on the main router?

Only thing I can think of is there other two are Linksys, but that doesn't really sound right to me. The other thing is the main router has a much more advanced wireless setup, (4 SSIDs with different settings) I only use the first one though...

So I know a couple ways of fixing this, but it requires spending more money and I really don't want to. Appreciate any help, thanks
The added routers could be setup as Access Points. Not routers. This avoids cascading NATs, a huge simplification. As is using ONE subnet number, one DHCP server.

Yep, it's one network if you look at my setup, they are configured as APs. One Subnet 192.168.0.X one DHCP server, one NAT, one firewall.

If the SSID for the main router is assigning 192.168.0.x IP address the network should be flat. Do you have some kind of isolation turned on for the wireless or maybe a VLAN assigned to the SSID?

I thought the same thing, the main router has the capability to broadcast 4 SSIDs all with different security, subnets, etc. but I'm only using the first one with no subnet or extra settings.

So I rebooted everything even though I went through multiple reboots, apparently the issue is fixed now, I can see all devices on the entire network on either router that has device lists. All the streaming media devices are available from any one of the SSIDs too.

F yea. Now if I could just afford better gear! Thanks for trying to help guys!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!