What's new

Router for a decent sized house (Moderate-Heavy load)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HPSNB

New Around Here
We have a DIR-655 here serving around 10 wireless devices (cellphones not included) in addition to another 4 wired clients. It also is kinda buggy (read reports elsewhere of such issues). The problem is slow routing performance, wireless coverage/speeds (yet to be moved to a much more central location which might help).

Planning on moving forward getting a better wireless router (bonus:5GHz, even though it might not penetrate the walls well).

What we are looking for is a wireless router that can handle moderate to heavy load, not on each device but on average. There is a NAS present in the house (wired) which is accessed from time to time.......gaming on 2-4 computers. Most of the time its surfing/youtube/streaming(online).

I've kinda narrowed it down to RT-N66U and EA4500(or EA4200V2)
Stability is a priority along with speed, coverage, no. of connections and routing/throughput performance as the current DIR-655 has stability issues.

Not sure what to choose or if there any other better options?

There on charts here on SNB to give you and idea what to use. I can recommend what I am using and someone else too.

For WiFi Router
Wired Gigabit ports 1000m
Wireless Megabit up to 300m
Single or Dual Band 2.4GHz or 5GHz or Both
802.11g and 802.11n
Handle more than 30 devices. (Most can do this)

DIR-655 was a good choice but time to get a replacement. ASUS following here is strong. I like ESR600H (500MHz / 256MB) Dual Band 300 2.4GHz /300m 5GHz but I only use as AP only.

You also have 802.11ac Gigabit Wireless Routers slowly coming out.

54/150/300/450/900/1300m 2.4GHz, 5GHz these have VHT (very high throughput) Were as the prior one has HT very high throughput). That's where everyone is at today.

Is the "slow routing performance" on wireless, wired or both?

What is your Internet downlink/uplink throughput?

With that many wireless devices and if you are doing a lot of streaming, you could simply be running out of wireless bandwidth, which no router is going to fix.

You can, however, increase available bandwidth by installing a second access point and setting it to a different channel.

If you are operating mix of 802.1b/g and b/g/n devices, segregating each type onto a different router can also help increase available bandwidth.
See Add, Don't Replace When Upgrading to 802.11n

Routing performance degradation with both wired and wireless connections. Random restarts all throughout the day (firmware upgraded) When connecting directly to the modem it works just fine. With this router in the mix things slow down. I can`t say if its load and doubt it as I've tried it during almost zero wireless load and still encountered same issues. I've read online of such issues and seems like it can be a defect of sorts :confused:

A 2nd AP is something I was considering but I`ve to see if its needed after replacing the DIR-655.

What do you guys think?

Did the DIR-655 ever work correctly? If yes, when did it start misbehaving? If the router has been around awhile, it and/or its power wart could be dying.

It was turned off and not being used when I moved here, I turned it back on, reset it and configured it from scratch and its been acting up from the get-go. I've tried setting the manual upload setting as per forums online and no luck :(

From seeing the RT-N66U review it seems to be affected by routing load (not wireless as you guys used a 2.4GHz, 5GHz and wired client) and it kinda crumpled :(

Go throw another router in there and give it a shot.

From seeing the RT-N66U review it seems to be affected by routing load (not wireless as you guys used a 2.4GHz, 5GHz and wired client) and it kinda crumpled
What are you referring to?

I have seen that effect in all routers I have run the test on. I doubt you would see the effect in real life use.

Phew, for a second there I was very apprehensive about the product even though its perfect every other way for most things!

The amplified signal on both bands should really help in this house :)

Any other ideas, models, tips or tricks that would help? :D