What's new

Router for a place saturated with other Wi-Fi networks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

krneki

New Around Here
I'm looking for a wireless router with a stable, highly reliable connection in a place heavily saturated with other Wi-Fi networks and Bluetooth connections. One client will be connected through 2,4 GHz 802.11g connection and another one through LAN, while the data rate will be low (max 200 KB/s). There has to be no packet loss and uptime has to be 100 %. I have already tested Linksys WRT54GL in such environment and it crashed within few minutes with occasional packet loss beforehand. On the other hand, Cisco Meraki MX64W worked without a single problem.

Cisco is out of my budget, I am looking more towards ~200 $. Currently I aim for Asus RT-AC68U, Asus RT-AC87U, Linksys WRT3200ACM and Netgear AC1900 (R7000), but I don't really know what is the crucial thing to look for. Which router would you recommend? Thanks for any suggestions.

0 packet loss and 100% uptime in a crowded spectrum ?
How about twisted pair cat 5 for that bandwidth.

If you've got the networking chops and you're willing to forgo AC wifi (which in certain use-cases is not completely necessary), a killer solution for this could be a Ruckus 7982, 7372 or 7352 off eBay (usually $30-75 a pop) plus a $50 Ubiquiti ER-X. You'll have a combo that if configured correctly will literally blow the socks off most consumer boxes for interference mitigation, QoS and overall stability. It will probably max out at around 75-100Mb/s of real-world wifi bandwidth per client, but the links will be rock solid.

If you think you'd prefer AC wifi for whatever reason, I'd lean towards the most stable AC1900 or 2600 product you have access to -- Asus AC1900, Netgear R7800 or similar. Perhaps a SOHO wireless mesh product, if you can find one cheap enough that still gets solid reviews.

Last edited: