What's new

Router for NAS and Boxee

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rasmus

New Around Here
Hi!

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, I've searched in the forum and read the guide on the homepage but still haven't found answers to my questions.

Here is the thing. I've just got a NAS, Synology DS211j, and planning on getting a boxee box to set up the computers (both PC and Mac) with the TV. When I backed up my computer on the new NAS (which I still am trying to learn) I found out the transfer speed were slow, it took a couple of days to backup around 450 GB. Since the router to the network is old and slow since before I figured it's about time to get a new router, especially when I get the Boxee.

So that's the background.

I've beed trying to search around for good routers but didn't reallt know what to look for when you connect a NAS with computer and boxee. The routers I've been looking at, among others are

Netgear WNDR3700
Asus RT-N56U
D-Link DIR-655
Asus RT-N16
Linksys by Cisco E2000

So my question is: Is any of these better of worse for the setup:

Imac / PC, laptop
Nas, DS211j
Boxee box

Is there anything else you'd need to think about for the setup?

Hope someone can help!

Best Regards

Rasmus

To get highest transfer speed, you need to connect via Gigabit Ethernet. 100 Mbps Ethernet will limit transfer to ~ 12 MB/s. Wireless will be slower than that.