What's new

Router freezes up?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cls92

New Around Here
We've been having this problem occur more and more often lately (But still just a couple times a week). Our internet will suddenly cut out. The modem shows a signal, so I just pull the plug on the router and plug it back in. Then everything will work fine. (I'll get some messages in my tray about access violations and ip conflicts, but they go away as soon as they appear)

I feel like this could be the result of more and more devices connecting to the router (Linksys WRT54GL)? It feels like things got a lot worse when we bought 3 iphones.

Right now, there's 1 wired desktop, 1 wireless desktop, 2 laptops, 1 netbook, 3 iphones, a blu-ray player that streams netflix (Not used too often), and occasionally devices that belong to our visitors.

Is this likely the cause of the problem, and if so, would a newer router handle things better? (I'll post again on the buying section if that's the case)

And just in case it comes up, I've read about upgrading the router I have, but that's beyond what I feel comfortable doing.

Thanks!

What modem is it?

Could be an failing power supply AC adapter.

Newer router wouldn't hurt, thats alot of devices on one old/slow router.

The modem is junk. I didn't think it mattered that much. So should I replace that first, or just replace them both?

I wanted to know what the make/model of the modem was to help determine a possible problem.

Some DSL modems given by ISP's have a conflicting IP scheme with most any default IP scheme in routers today, which causes the router to lock up after a short time of use. The modem works fine with one PC connected, and many think theres nothing wrong. The modems can be bridged and still the lockups persist. Only solution is to change the IP scheme of the router.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!