What's new

Router in Access point mode vs access point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wutikorn

I'm going to set network up in one building, which is 5 storeys with each 24m length by 8m width with 6m x 4m rooms. I already have a good enough router. My network speed is 35/15Mbps. I wonder if I should buy ubiquiti access point and just router with access point mode. I wonder if 2 Ubiquiti UAP-LR are enough to be put on 2nd and 4th storeys. Also, I have about $200 for making this. I don't need to view network performance of Ubiquiti. If I should buy routers in access point mode, could u advice which router should I get as there are d-link, tp-link, Asus, and Belkin here. If I need to tell more information, tell me! Thanks in advance

Last edited:
You need to research what features you need and see what features are supported in the brands you listed.

Exclusively AP-mode WiFi devices are usually enterprise-grade.

Almost every consumer WiFi device is capable of routing, except for maybe the WiFi extenders or media bridges.

Then, what are different between enterprise-grade AP and consumer-grade AP? Is it only reliablility? I don't need special features but I only need range and good enough speed for 20 people in the whole house. And there is no local file transfers in my network

Last edited:
Then, what are different between enterprise-grade AP and consumer-grade AP? Is it only reliablility? I don't need special features but I only need range and good enough speed for 20 people in the whole house. And there is no local file transfers in my network

Any above-average, consumer-grade WiFi router should be more than enough to meet the demands of your network.

Reliability really depends on how you (ab)use the devices you have, in my very limited experience. Without the proper know-how, enterprise-grade can be unconfigurable and much less reliable.

Any above-average, consumer-grade WiFi router should be more than enough to meet the demands of your network.

Reliability really depends on how you (ab)use the devices you have, in my very limited experience. Without the proper know-how, enterprise-grade can be unconfigurable and much less reliable.
How about range? Do you think I can minimize my budget by using only two devices on 2nd and 4th storeys only? Or do I need one every story?

How about range? Do you think I can minimize my budget by using only two devices on 2nd and 4th storeys only? Or do I need one every story?

What material are the floors & walls? Concrete & brick are worse than 2x4 with sheetrock.

One router. Many APs.
Enterprise needs Non-WiFi router to support enterprise IT policy on AAA and VLANs. Not consumer stuff.
Same for APs.

if your budget is sensitive to the cost of a few +/- APs, then there's a larger problem. Unless this is in a complex multi-floor system for other than an MDU (e.g., apartments).

An application like this - don't go consumer-grade - they don't have the features you need...

From a wireless perhaps - N300 AP's on each floor, but the real issue is network separation and user privacy...

I would suggest consulting with a local wireless lan pro...

What material are the floors & walls? Concrete & brick are worse than 2x4 with sheetrock.
concrete+brick
One router. Many APs.
Enterprise needs Non-WiFi router to support enterprise IT policy on AAA and VLANs. Not consumer stuff.
Same for APs.

if your budget is sensitive to the cost of a few +/- APs, then there's a larger problem. Unless this is in a complex multi-floor system for other than an MDU (e.g., apartments).
No, it's okay for me just to individually set every thing, and I don't have any enterprise function. So at the similar price, does the router set in AP mode perform as good range and speed as enterprise AP?
An application like this - don't go consumer-grade - they don't have the features you need...

From a wireless perhaps - N300 AP's on each floor, but the real issue is network separation and user privacy...

I would suggest consulting with a local wireless lan pro...
Privacy is not real issue for that house, they are okay to be in the same network. Does the network separation means to divide it into different sub network like 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x? So do I still need enterprise grade? I'm okay with setting up everything individually.

WiFi for a business - first issue is SECURITY. ACCESS AUTHENTICATION for WiFi users. Protect customers' info.
Decide this before anything is purchased.

Privacy is not real issue for that house, they are okay to be in the same network. Does the network separation means to divide it into different sub network like 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x? So do I still need enterprise grade? I'm okay with setting up everything individually.

Covering 5 floors - might consider a small business solution - Zyxel, Engenius (and others) play in the small managed network business, and they do have very product offerings that allow for centralized management - a 5 story building, if you want to really light it up, you'll need at least 5 AP's, plus a router, and perhaps a managed switch...

You know you are going to need cabling to all these locations for wireless APs. And maybe you will need to relocate some of the cabling based on actual use. I don't think $200 will cover the cabling nor the equipment needed to do this.
Are you going to install power at each location or run POE?

From my experience with using a few enterprise grade access points as a client, is that they tend to have really good compatibility.

For example, with many newer routers, I had compatibility issues with really old WiFi devices (e.g., my ancient HTC Mytouch 3G slide, would not hold a connection with my N router (WNDR4700, or my 2 802.11ac routers (R6300V2 and R7000), but with the 802.11n ans newer 802.11ac enterprise AP's that my college and workplace had been installing, everything that I try with them, just works. From my 802.11ac smartphone and laptop, to my 802.11g ancient smartphone. I use an old and crappy smartphone when moving about the city a lot, and using the subway, as criminals tend to ignore the ancient stuff.

It is almost like the enterprise AP's go through more testing to ensure compatibility and reliable connectivity with a wide range of devices.

ok, thanks for every suggestion

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!