What's new

Router low performance wifi on AP Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sucka

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
i have an Asus be98 router and wanted to use it in AP Mode so i can use a firewall gateway before it, i tested everything using a 1gbps pppoe connection. After i set it up i realized wireless is not as stable as in router mode, so i started debugging.

After speedtest i have realized that in router mode i get about 850mbps download, in ap mode with the same setup and same place for device test, i get 350mbps max (sometimes even lower), every time, i have used an iphone for test mainly but i have tested other wifi devices and had same results, on lan there is no difference in performance, just wireless is the one messed up, and only download so badly, upload not so much, it almost gets to the right speed for download, but rapidly always falling to the same low values.

So i continued debugging, tested the cables, they are brand new and they test fine running benchmarks on all the cables half a meter cat 7 & 8 anyway overkill, started testing all lan port inside the router maybe that was problem, still nothing, then even tested different gateways for inbound internet inside the ap, i tested a pfsense, an opnsense machine and even an asus axe16000 router to give internet to be98 that was in ap mode.
I have tested the devices with dhcp and static ip in ap mode, i have even tested everything in router mode but with dhcp, firewall and wan disabled, and just connected the gateway on lan ports.
(And yes on devices like be98 after changing to ap mode, i have re-enabled wifi7, and made sure all tests were made with the same wifi settings all the time, even tested all wifi settings combinations possible, hoped something there was at fault as a bug, but to no difference).
The same problem manifests itself on all bands 2.4, 5hghz and 6ghz so it isn't band specific, and tested last 2 firmwares from asus and last 2 from merlin/gnuton on both of them.

I then tested everything on axe16000 as well, to check if it's something device specific, even if it has a different speed from the start as its a different device, i still see the same behavior of low performance in ap mode or any method i try to use the external gateway.

So what gives? are both routers with ap mode with performance problems? even though i am an experienced dev, did i omit doing something like a noob? i mean im no network engineer; Or do i have wrong expectations from such a device? Did anyone hit anything like this and knows any solution? I wanted to use this router as it would be a fenomenal AP on paper compared to an actual AP.
Thanks.

Last edited: